"On Air" by pair-o-ducks

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

whimsy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:51 am Oh, and just to prove I'd never hurt a duck, here are a couple I rescued from a construction site with new houses going in at the end of our road. Found them in some rubble about six months ago, placed them safely in the decorative entrance to the development (much ritzier than our street!) and, surprisingly, there they remain, like little mini-mansion mascots.
How cute! They're lucky to have you keeping them safe :D
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

SSSolved it.
No nudges needed....another wheelhouse puzzle for me....I can explain after the solution is given.

Thanks for the great puzzle and memories.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Ssolved! Nice one, Schmidzy!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

This was perfect for a Sunday, but I didn't get to it till this morning, got it without the nudges, and played a couple of tracks. Thanks.
Jay
ReB

Post by ReB »

Sssolved. The first two nudges served to rev up my brain (as they just repeated what I already had figured out), and then the synapses connected and I quickly found the answer using what turned out to be a suitable google search string. Thanks.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

10 more solvers brings us to 53:

JHSeeman
Capn Rick
Alex Sisti
Mr Tex
kurtalert
Bird Lives
ReB
Sharkicicles
DebbieC
Rufus T Firefly
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

We two ducks just got back from our trip (see below for the new friend we made along the way!) and I'm still catching up with all of your kind comments on our puzzle. Thank you to everyone for solving, and if you're still working on it, you've still got a few more days before the reveal! As always, if you need more nudges, I'm just a PM away.

PXL_20231023_191249480.jpg
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Sssolved! Fun puzzle!

Thanks!

Allison (Alvibu67)
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Travelling this week so got to the puzzle late...SSSolved with no need of nudges...thanks!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

6 more solvers!

Alvibu67
Schmeel
Qmark
DCBilly
Jaclyn
Darrell

Puzzle reveal coming in 3... 2... 1...
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

The answer is RADIOHEAD. The "heads" of four themers are words that can be combined with "radio:"

CRYSTAL Radio
Radio BUTTON
Radio STATION
HAM Radio

Plus many of you found the "Easter Egg" at 48A. Thanks to everyone who solved this week! Until next time, stay ducky.

OnAirRevealsmol.png
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I'm a ham radio operator, so this was pretty much in my wheelhouse. Not familiar with any of their work but I have heard of them.