MGWCC #801 — “Sounds like Someone I Know”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well this "week1" proved much harder than the WSJ puzzle for me. I struggled due to a learned behavior and some forgetfulness, but was - with some guidance - able to get home I think. We will see. I cannot believe the answer I finally arrived at could be anything else than correct, but I have proven that wrong before.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

I finally solved this, and... I have a lot of thoughts.

It's definitely not week one difficulty.
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Conrad wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:33 pm I finally solved this, and... I have a lot of thoughts.

It's definitely not week one difficulty.
I for one am eager to read your review, Conrad!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:32 pm I for one am eager to read your review, Conrad!
That is thankfully Joon's responsibility :D

I also have thoughts on the WSJ. "Backsolve" doesn't quite describe my process. More like "inside out".
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Aboard the Enterprise at #253, got to get down to the 10-Forward lounge before they run out of Aldeberan Whiskey and Synthetol, there are a LOT of people on the ship.
10-forward-popup-23.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Conrad wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:39 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:32 pm I for one am eager to read your review, Conrad!
That is thankfully Joon's responsibility :D

I also have thoughts on the WSJ. "Backsolve" doesn't quite describe my process. More like "inside out".
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Like others I figured the only viable answer and yet hesitated while I tried the mother of all backsolves. Eventually submitted and I'm on the board but still have no idea what the dreaded numbers in parentheses mean!

Week 1 if you ignore them I guess.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:57 pm Aboard the Enterprise at #253, got to get down to the 10-Forward lounge before they run out of Aldeberan Whiskey and Synthetol, there are a LOT of people on the ship.

10-forward-popup-23.jpg
I recommend the Klingon Bloodwine.

Recommend avoiding, that is...
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:34 am
Conrad wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:39 pm
Joe has spoken: I know what song I'll be using in my Fiend writeup tonight.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Got waylayed by the same hiccup others saw, but hit the finish line and awaiting beamage. Glad this didn’t have a downs-only, no-instructions option!
Ray
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

That will teach me. I spent a long weekend away and figured I could just coast in on Monday night running on very little sleep and knock this out because it was a Week One. Nope. I was stumped for a bit and assumed I was just being really dense, but then I stopped thinking of it as a Week One and found my way.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

NO SÉ how to pronounce words like EWOK.
RhymingOneal.png
-Tamara
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

First thought at solving, which I knew couldn't be correct, but is almost as usable as intended:

801GridJPRMarkedUp-AKATY-small.png

Taking nth letters from entries with matching repeated letter combos from TEs, I get AAKTY. Only answer I could suss was AKA YT, which might mean WHITEY FORD, an old-time baseball player.

I punted & asked for help. Normally I wouldn't submit, but...

EDIT: Oops, I see that ILI does not match ILLY nor is it close. Kest luh vie. Yet another reason to drop that grasped straw.
rjy

Post by rjy »

So I had LEI rhyming with FAYE DUNAWAY before I had any idea what the numbers were for. Is this where other folks caught a snag?

The numbers were inscrutable when sitting on LEI as one of the five, and in hindsight were completely unnecessary - save for the lone case of nudging away from LEI to a 4-letter answer, NO SÉ in this case (which continued to read like "nose" to me in the grid)

If LEI could have been eliminated, the numbers could have been as well.
Ray