"Bar Code" by AJK and Wendy Walker

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

So, I have become that guy who always solves but only after getting several helpings of nudges. That is better than giving up. Thanks to so many for helping me press on to the end. Not just on this puzzle.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

The final additions to the leaderboard are mkmf and Dannyvee. Thank you all for solving! AJK will be posting the reveal on Sunday.
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Don't mind me, just squeezing in under the wire at 2 am on Sunday.

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
ajk

Post by ajk »

MikeyG wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:54 am Don't mind me, just squeezing in under the wire at 2 am on Sunday.
:lol: well done. And Katiedid joined you under that wire. Reveal here in a sec.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ajk

Post by ajk »

The meta answer is MIXED.

This one started back in August, when Wendy was wrestling with Mike Shenk's "Tie Game" puzzle (you can find it here). The clue for 49-Across was "Queen with a Manhattan apartment" (cluing ELLERY). Aha, thought Wendy, it's drinks! Narrator: it was not drinks.

But, like any good constructor, Wendy repurposed that frustration into a new idea, which brings us to this week's puzzle.

We're looking for a type of message. The title could mean several things. But hopefully the omega across ("Refreshing beverage, like cranberry juice" for DRINK) put you in the correct frame of mind. And indeed, there are 5 very common cocktails in the clues: Screwdriver, Manhattan, Sidecar, Old Fashioned, and Cosmopolitan. OK, that has to be progress. But now what? The first letters of the related entries (DIARD) or the cocktails (SMSOC) do not seem promising.

But hang on, perhaps that cranberry juice was not chosen at random from the list of possible refreshing beverages. That's definitely something used in cocktails. And if we go hunting through the clues we can turn up some other ingredients: orange juice in the clue for DIME, rye in the clue for GRAIN, cognac in the clue for XXO, and sugar in the clue for DEAR. OK, if we take the first letters of those entries (plus DRINK) we get: DGXDD. Hmm.

Hang on though. The distribution of those entries in the grid is not random. In fact, each of those ingredients is a signature component of one of the cocktails, and furthermore the grid entries for the matched cocktail/ingredient clue pairs intersect (as shown below)! Well, what happens if we take the letters where they intersect (or mix, if you will)? In grid order, they spell MIXED, which is a type of message, and this week's answer. The MIXED messages that might result from consumption of these drinks might also be viewed as a type of bar "code" :)

Thanks to my co-constructor for a very enjoyable maiden joint venture, and I hope that you all had as much fun solving this as we had constructing it. :)
bar code reveal.png
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Gonna have to try some of those recipes! Great puzzle, Alan & Wendy. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

This was a fun puzzle with great clues to the mechanism. Really enjoyed it!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Never really got back to it after the first couple of days -- life getting in the way and all that -- but I really wish I had. What a great meta! More please...
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:00 pm Gonna have to try some of those recipes! Great puzzle, Alan & Wendy. :D
Went to a prohibition bar down in Savannah Ga. If you're looking for a list of drinks to try......
Attachments
IMG_5251(2).jpg