Post by CromsFury »

This week’s Variety puzzle is a HEX!

Enjoy!
:ugeek:
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

How often in a variety cryptic do have to read the instructions just once? Thank you, C&R
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Fun to see this one unfold.
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

Great cryptic. Just the right amount of challenge for me
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)
KayW

Post by KayW »

DavyGravy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:01 am Great cryptic. Just the right amount of challenge for me
My sentiments exactly!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

KayW wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:33 pm
DavyGravy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:01 am Great cryptic. Just the right amount of challenge for me
My sentiments exactly!
Me Too!! Started last night and really dug in for the last hour or so and finished. Finally solved the unclued entries by starting with the short words and adding rather than dropping letters. Still not quite sure about the wordplay on 28A, but confident of my answer.
KayW

Post by KayW »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:28 pm
My sentiments exactly!
Me Too!! Started last night and really dug in for the last hour or so and finished. Finally solved the unclued entries by starting with the short words and adding rather than dropping letters. Still not quite sure about the wordplay on 28A, but confident of my answer.
My take on that one:
Succeeding (LATER) in court case (TRIAL) involving more than two sides (definition: TRI[LATER]AL)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

KayW wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:36 pm
SewYoung wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:28 pm

My sentiments exactly!
My take on that one:
Succeeding (LATER) in court case (TRIAL) involving more than two sides (definition: TRI[LATER]AL)
Thanks! I'm sure you're right. I should have waited and looked again in the morning and maybe would have seen it.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Fun puzzle—thanks to Kay for reminding me about it
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

That was a toughie in spots. I don't think I would have deciphered 19D by itself. Even after I had the answer I had to take time to figure out the wordplay.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Agree with above comments, another fun HEX puzzle. Really like the starting shakedown word. Had to remind myself what it meant.
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

iggystan wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:33 pm Agree with above comments, another fun HEX puzzle. Really like the starting shakedown word. Had to remind myself what it meant.
I DO enjoy being reminded of words.
:mrgreen:
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Happy to report a solve on this one!

Some of you will recognize me from the Meta forum;

I've stored up several years of Cryptics, intending at some point to get to them. About a year ago I tried to start to solve Cryptic puzzles in general, buying a book, going online with Lovetts, but the Journal puzzles were highly intimidating and (I felt) unreachable. In a weird masochistic way I find I enjoy them because they force me to think in different ways, and usually totally kick my behind and I'm left completely clueless.

Recently going through my old stash I had my first almost solve with an old one dealing with the Pied Piper (got the main theme and all the missing words, but left a few spaces.)

But this was my first "complete the grid with no blanks leftover" solve. I surprised myself with pulling some of the Shakedown words totally out of the air. You certainly need a pretty good vocabulary to find success with cryptics.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Henry Paul wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:30 pm You certainly need a pretty good vocabulary to find success with cryptics.
…or, for some of us, some heavy-duty interweb searching 😉
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

Henry Paul wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:30 pm
But this was my first "complete the grid with no blanks leftover" solve.
Congratulations!
:ugeek:
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

KayW wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:23 pm
Henry Paul wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:30 pm You certainly need a pretty good vocabulary to find success with cryptics.
…or, for some of us, some heavy-duty interweb searching 😉