"Crossword Breakfast Test"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Off the couch. I didn't think I had the right answer, so I never submitted on Crosshare. I just kept trying to get a different answer. I think my brain was still trying to recover from MikeyG's week 5!!
Cindy Heisler
Abide

Post by Abide »

woozy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:00 pm Um... are you nudging the same puzzle that I did? If so, I missed something major!
I see you brute-forced the answer by guessing right on the fourth attempt. Over 40% submitted a wrong first answer.

If you want further clarification, I direct you to the Crosshare comments. 😁
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

woozy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:00 pm Um... are you nudging the same puzzle that I did? If so, I missed something major!
I'm with you.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Abide wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:17 pm
I see you brute-forced the answer by guessing right on the fourth attempt. Over 40% submitted a wrong first answer.

If you want further clarification. I direct you to the Crosshare comments. 😁
Holy cow! I leap-frogged right past that. I guess this is one of those times it was better to be lucky than smart. Very nice touch!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I’m actually now more intrigued by the nudges and responses… got the mechanism early from a certain clue but still haven’t actually worked it out.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Another day, another 4 solvers vacating their couches

CPJohnson
Cindy Heisler
SeamusOL
SJMcK

And if we had a list for those who’d already got the answer but were nudged to the full mechanism, sounds like there’d be a few people added to that one too.

If anyone who’s stuck after the first step (or before) wants a private nudge, PM me.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Abide wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:17 pm

If you want further clarification, I direct you to the Crosshare comments. 😁
It wasn't brute force. It was one wrong idea, one right idea and two typos. I have a dead lock-cinch for how it works. But there are a few things I didn't understand. But I'll read the Crosshare comments.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Off the couch with a little help from @BarbaraK . I didn't see the first step, which the nudges assume you got.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay. Now that I see how the meta worked I have to admit it reminds me of this

Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

@Eric Porter has a good point. So I’ll add

nudge #0

If you don’t see what the theme entries have in common, try saying the last parts out loud
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Got nothing even with the nudges.

(I edited this because looking back it seemed to be a bit flippant, which I didn't mean.)
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I really tried hard to make the answer much more complicated than it was. Thanks, @Abide and @BarbaraK! Hope you collaborate again!
Cynthia
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Today’s new solvers:

jbird
Eric Porter
DebbieC
Darth
cbarbee002
bhamren
JR
DavyGravy
maturin
OGuyDave
Matt A

Thanks everyone for solving! And there are a couple more days to go! Tell your friends!

haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Finally got it after another look at the nudges.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I’m delighted to see that people are still finding their way off the couch!

Four more solvers today:
BrennerTJ
Jimbo
BethA
Katiedid

@haydendog, I don’t see you on the list. Different screen name? Or crosshare update lag? Or submission lost in cyberspace?

Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Got this with a couple of nudges!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

A few more off the couch before the deadline:

Tane
Rufus T Firefly
Haydendog
Annabelle

The big reveal will be posted tomorrow.

Abide

Post by Abide »

How do you like your morning crossword, especially if solving with children? NYT Editor Margaret Farrar coined the term "Sunday Morning Breakfast Test", an unwritten rule that kept crosswords family-friendly and free of unpleasantness. This is why you rarely see HITLER, CANCER, or @#*! at 1-Across.

This puzzle had a basic Step 1 (homonyms of the last theme words) that sent you to a word (DIRTY) that could not reasonably fit the prompt. Looking at the clue and entry for 66-Across suggests the opposite. Implementing the alpha-numeric code A=1, B=2 yields CLEAN, a "not dirty" word.

TL; DR
@BrennerTJ explains it beautifully here:

crosswordbreakfasttest.gif

Eighty-four solvers, with a few still entrenched at Step 1. Kudos to my collab partner @BarbaraK. Hope you enjoyed it!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Thanks to everyone who solved or attempted this puzzle! It was great fun to make, and Peter @Abide is wonderful to work with. And lovely reveal graphic, @BrennerTJ.

One of the perennial questions in metas is, which order do we use? Theme entries or the other grid pieces? The crossword gods smiled on us in this case; it didn't matter because the letters of "dirty" are alphabetical.

sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Great puzzle!