MEOW #139 Sound Advice

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Really really good meta Dr.Tom!
Cat is out of the bag and into a more comfortable position
IMG_3879.jpeg
It’s a rare day when I can finish making the bed.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Finally came back to this one post nudges. Needed all of them, but finally got there. Ironically this one was much more up my alley than I thought.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ReB

Post by ReB »

Finally back from my travels and catching up on pending metas. Needed the nudges to untie the bag, but the cat is out. Nice job of constructing and cluing.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MaineMarge wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:10 am Really really good meta Dr.Tom!
Cat is out of the bag and into a more comfortable position
It’s a rare day when I can finish making the bed.
That picture could just have easily been taken at our house...I don't even try anymore because assuming I do get to make the bed, an enterprising kitty will soon unmake it.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ya Hoo!!

More for the MEOW

52 MaineMarge
53 ajk
54 ReB
55 Darrell
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

This one could go either way in terms of grokking it. I'm not sure what my in was, but I somehow saw it immediately (after the puzzle was complete, though not at all during it!).

Great, smooth puzzle! But I won't sound off about it. (Though if I'm on your dial, you could always turn the sound off.)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

With Mikey G we have a total of 56 people to whom I will say BRAVO!

OK, then the reveal:
Sound Advice Graphic Reveal.jpg
The NATO Phonetic alphabet was developed to clarify communications. Voices with a bad connection or foreign voices sometimes would convey the wrong information if, for example, B sounded like D or Y like I, and so on. That of course could have disastrous consequences if you were trying to give coordinates for an artillery bombardment (My Lord honey, look at the size of that hail!!!) or landing instructions (Pardon me sir, but there appears to be a mountain on our runway!). Thus the famous ALFA, BRAVO, CHARLIE, etc. was born as a clearer way to get your message across.

Thank you to all the solvers, BRAVO, YANKEE, ECHO for now!
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

Brilliant puzzle, DrTom! And to fit eight themers into the grid must have taken a lot of work. Kudos!
Seattle DB
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

dsbened wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:04 pm Brilliant puzzle, DrTom! And to fit eight themers into the grid must have taken a lot of work. Kudos!
Thank you. Yes it took little squeezing, and unfortunately due to the differing lengths they were not able to be symmetric. It was not the hardest one I ever did though. I'm just happy people liked it. I appreciate the kind comments.