MEOW #137 Black And White

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

dsbened wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:26 pm But I don't understand 58A's clue: "An Eastender 58 across with these", and the answer is "Ears". Is that a typo in the PDF?
An Eastender (who talks with a cockney accent) 'ears ("hears") with their ears. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

Ah, okay. I was trying to figure out what an "Eastender" is, and didn't know if that referred to London, New York, or Melbourne. I was stumped! And TY for the quick reply, mate!
Seattle DB
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

dsbened wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:26 pm
benchen71 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:50 pm
dsbened wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:57 pm Benchen71 is "betchin'" (old S. Cal term for totally rad/cool) and while I'm not good at metas, I like Ben's puzzles -- as I do all of the Muggles -- but when I took a look at this grid I almost "pashed" on it...
Glad you liked it. @madhatter5 is known for doing fun things with grids, so I tried my best to emulate something he might have come up with for this puzzle! :D
But I don't understand 58A's clue: "An Eastender 58 across with these", and the answer is "Ears". Is that a typo in the PDF?
It's that British accent that doesn't pronounce the initial H. Like in My Fair Lady, Henry Higgins is 'Enry 'Iggins.

So instead of hears with ears, it's 'ears with ears.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Pretty clever! I didn't get this one because my deadlines are all messed-up, but I didn't try as hard as I could have. Keep forgetting that MEOW is a thing - my cat sure doesn't, though!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:00 pm
dsbened wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:26 pm
benchen71 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:50 pm

Glad you liked it. @madhatter5 is known for doing fun things with grids, so I tried my best to emulate something he might have come up with for this puzzle! :D
But I don't understand 58A's clue: "An Eastender 58 across with these", and the answer is "Ears". Is that a typo in the PDF?
It's that British accent that doesn't pronounce the initial H. Like in My Fair Lady, Henry Higgins is 'Enry 'Iggins.

So instead of hears with ears, it's 'ears with ears.
TY, Barbara, for the further edification! (I'm still a newbie on metas!)
Seattle DB