"Go West" July 14, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Onaquest

Post by Onaquest »

diplomatt wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:37 pm On the beach. Figured out the mechanism quickly, but couldn't find the sixth.

Came back an hour later, correctly guessed what the nature of the sixth would be. Saw it immediately. Boom.

Good swim. Headed to Ikea. Gonna sip my lingonberry juice on the sand.
Ditto us (without the IKEA and Lingonberry). On shore.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Finally on the beach after waaaay too many rabbit holes.
LuscombeDriver

Post by LuscombeDriver »

Made it easily
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Took some time but we have joined the party on shore. Happy Saturday!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:38 pm
I believe that a solid case can be made for either of two answers. Others believe that there is only one answer but that is why they have the horse race.

And one last question for a knowledgeable muggle. I am writing this in the middle of a significant thunderstorm. Growing up we were warned not to swim in a thunderstorm for fear of being electrocuted if lightning strikes the water. If this is the case, why aren't beavers electrocuted if there is a lightning strike on the water?
Interesting question Bob, I felt compelled to look it up online and found a pretty decent answer:

Can I get electrocuted if I am swimming at the beach and lightning strikes the water?

Quite possibly - especially if you happen to be in the water at the time, and are close to where the lightning struck.

There are lots of considerations that govern your actual degree of danger. The potential between two points in the water (called “step potential”) drops with increasing distance from the strike. The worst case situation is a swimmer whose outstretched body is oriented along a radial line from the strike point. The odds of electrocution are also significantly higher if you’re swimming in fresh water versus salt water (well that will aggravate the beavers!) - salt water is actually safer since much of the discharge current will flow around your more poorly-conducting body.

The danger zone in the water also scales linearly with peak current in the lightning stroke, so a high-current 100 kA strike will have a potential “kill zone” that’s about 10X further away than a smaller 10 kA strike. A high-current strike can easily kill numerous nearby swimmers, especially if they’re not quickly pulled out of the water and given emergency CPR. A heart in ventricular fibrillation or cardiac arrest no longer pumps oxygen to the brain, so you only have about 3 minutes before brain damage sets in.

When your skin becomes water-soaked, your effective body resistance is reduced to about 300 ohms from your hands to your feet. Since life-threatening ventricular fibrillation is triggered with about 100 milliamperes of current, it only takes a voltage difference of about 30 volts (between your outstretched hands and feet) to potentially kill you. This is an absurdly low voltage when compared to the tens of millions, or hundreds of millions of volts, that powers a lightning strike.

Because of all the the variables, it’s impossible to say whether or not you might be injured or killed while swimming during a lightning storm. But the danger is considerably lower if you’re on the beach when lightning strikes. And the danger approaches zero if you’re safely inside a permanent building or in your metal-bodied car or truck.

So, it appears the answer is YES, and who knows if beavers get electrocuted, they might and nobody knows a dam thing! I'd be willing to bet that if my mother were still alive she would warn against swimming if there is a lightning storm...and particularly if it was right after you ate, certain death I am sure.

Now, next time there is a bad storm I am going to the beach and, after it is over, I'm going to see if I can get out in a boat and look for fresh fried grouper!!!

As for a second answer, I don't see one, but that is not to be taken as anything definitive, heck I often don't see the FIRST one. But you wonder, can there be a second, I mean can lightning strike twice?????
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Ashore, time for English breakfast tea before finding more Tiki drinks later today while I’m visiting Key Largo.
Fogway

Post by Fogway »

After treading water for quite some time, WLW provided a helpful nudge to shore.

In a belated tribute to Bastille Day, I'll have a French 75.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

Ashore. I finished the grid yesterday amidst the clamor caused by my daughter and her family, who are visiting ,and got stuck in a rabbit hole. But now the breakfast dishes are done, my son-in-law took the 3-year-old to play with cousins, the baby is down for a nap, my daughter is resting and my husband is out with the dog. The house now quiet, the solution magically appeared! Like others, I have a little quibble.
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

On the shore!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:32 am

Now, next time there is a bad storm I am going to the beach and, after it is over, I'm going to see if I can get out in a boat and look for fresh fried grouper!!!

@DrTom This morning I have done considerable research on the issue of why we don't have dead beavers floating around after a thunderstorm. What happens is that with the first clap of lightning, Mrs Beaver says in in a tone that every wife has "get into this lodge! don't you have the sense to come in out of the rain!!"

And like most husbands he dutifully says "yes dear" and comes in

And quote Paul Harvey "Now you know the rest of the story"
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

Got caught in a riptide in the baby pool. So many distractions on the grid. A Pimm’s Cup of course.
burak

Post by burak »

This was a maddening meta until I finally saw it. It becomes a very frustrating exercise when you know exactly what you're looking for but the answer simply isn't there. I've learned to cut a lot of slack to constructors over the time, but I think this does indeed fall into the "inelegant" category.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good morning muggles

First a welcome to our newest muggles this week - janeileen, DunningKruger, will j, Jayboy1 and Snavec - It is always great to have more muggles and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

We have 4 on the ship with Isaac and 209 on the shore

enjoying Isaac's weekend brunch are
David Wi
Inca
janeileen
Tom S

and basking one or another shore (both of which have well stocked bars) are:

mydogsam
oldjudge
MatthewL
Al
paige
Tom Wi
Jace54
michaelm
Guffman
Jim and Anita
pjc
stmv
joe
DCBilly
D B Miller
Eric C
girubato1
CromsFury
Mme
Joe R
docison
Red jbb
Beth A
Jean
krf
Georgeall
Merry Potter
AaronT
norrin2
sharkicicles
Scott M
Begbie
TheFusionMoose
eric h
Cindy
Beth T
Meg
Schmeel
hoover
Mike H
Al Laubenstein
ladybird
boharr
BrennerTJ
Laura
Steveb
David K
Lee-Ann
NuYear68
Jack
Books&Bakes
Wendy
ky-mike
NebFaninCA
Heidi
HeadinHome
MarkWoychick
mbryant
altosax
streroto
Barbara K
Kwyjibo
H and J
Tcassutt
Tina
Homer
MileHighSolver
DebbieC
Dow Jones
Rita and George
Franklin
Tomgebhard
Omnibus
Justmarebear
Eric P
Trish
Don and Cynthia
otlaolap
Ergcat
Wescovington
lisajoy
DavyGravy
RobM
kurtalert
0842sw
DunningKruger
Kay
JetStream
clonefitz
Glyn
SJMck
Mister and Mrs. Squawk
benchen71
LittleGood
NDStegs
Lube On
Matthew
BisbeeTam
iggystan
dpl11
Don and Lisa
Richard
whimsy
Moi
ReB
Yoda66
Jackie J
cbarbee
Bill
SarasotaSun
mattythewsjpuzzler
Char
Hidden in 3D
Jeremy
halseymac
Liz
dudeski
Harbo
SoccerMom
Lacern
Chris
b4alltime
Berto
woozy
Cap'n Rick
BigPear
Bonnibel
Craven_Mug_Craver
Peter
EmilyW
shalmanezer
EVJ
ajk
Gman
Dave C
JeanneC
Deb
jrdad
Toby
Adajeo
MaineMarge
mikeB
Bird Lives
Googly
Zach
mrmd
jimmyd
martimeryard
will j
jhseeman
CPJohnson
rjy
TeaJenny
Janet
sjm
sf592000
MajorDomoTom
OliviaL
higgysue
Sleepy
meowmiao71
Zagman49
JaneGummy
Happy
lxpeterson
hunkra
Jennifer
HunterX
Franky_T
Annabelle
eagle1279
diplomatt
Joepickett
vandono
KscX
Susan G
relic (and Maggie)
Lyman
phofer
HellZiggy
Beth C
DannyWalter
Jayboy1
Snavec
minimuggle
turbotron
WSJosh
mlvilv
Acari
Aragorn
DrTom
CdnMG
Ben B and son
Fogway
Grover
hottieruth
Flamel616
Joes and Natasha
Onaquest and Tim
Doug M
BreeZynCO
LuscombeDriver
Kris Zacharias
bread-girl

Good luck with the meta and stay safe. Here in NE, we are supposed to get a day of rain and thunderstorms tomorrow. Vermont is supposed to get more rain which they don't need.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Oh shore. Happy to report my husband helped me solve! Stay cool. 🌴
linsocalm

Post by linsocalm »

Ashore! Hoping I parsed the instructions properly to submit the correct answer.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:40 am
@DrTom This morning I have done considerable research on the issue of why we don't have dead beavers floating around after a thunderstorm. What happens is that with the first clap of lightning, Mrs Beaver says in in a tone that every wife has "get into this lodge! don't you have the sense to come in out of the rain!!"

And like most husbands he dutifully says "yes dear" and comes in

And quote Paul Harvey "Now you know the rest of the story"
Oh, I'll bet Mr. Beaver is eager to comply and not try to buck Mrs. Beaver's authority, i mean everybody loves an eager beaver, but do they love a bucky beaver???? I think the toothful answer to that is, GNAW!
Bucky Beaver.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Oh, I'll bet Mr. Beaver is eager to comply and not try to buck Mrs. Beaver's authority, i mean everybody loves an eager beaver, but do they love a bucky beaver???? I think the toothful answer to that is, GNAW!
Bucky Beaver.jpg
[/quote]

@DrTom and for those too young to remember (notice that this is in black and white which will give an indication of when it came out)

Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Crest

Post by Crest »

Safely ashore!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Brusha, brusha, brusha, here's the new Ipana..... back when commercials did not cost the same as a feature film to produce!
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Grid solved last night. Search, search, search
Pick up this morning. Found the path… but where is the sixth?
Pick up this afternoon. On shore.
Fun paddle to shore. Lots of Gaffney Gulps along the way.
Wimbledon Pimm’s to celebrate!