Positions Everyone

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Unofficially off the couch. Fun and clever!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

So, to all those waiting with bated breath (oh and BTW stop it, your breath smells like worms...oops, sorry that is baited breath)

Nudges:

Given the title (yep there that is again) are there any clues that suggest positions?

Once you find all of them (11) then you have to do something, but that should be obvious

So, that is the first part done - what did that give you?

Given what you have been doing all puzzle, and with the derived phrase and the meta prompt, what does that tell you about what the answer should be

Let's just say that this should give you license to kill this puzzle
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Solved pre-nudges. Nice twist at the end indeed.
Thanks for the puzzle!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Solved with a groan! Thanks Dr. Tom!
Heidi
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Off the couch - needed the last nudge (but none of the ones before it), and even then it took a couple of hours before the aha! Very clever, thanks @DrTom and team!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well darn, this one is proving rather popular!

38 cbarbee002
39 MaineMarge
40 mkmf
41 bhamren
42 andeux
43 Sharkicicles
44 Schmeel
45 hcbirker
46 Jackyn
47 Carolyn
48 Mwoychick
49 ImOnToo

Are we in for a record? Well if that darn MEOW gives people a chance, maybe!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Off the couch after an PM/nudge initiated by Dr. Tom, who took pity on me to point out the grab bar to hold on to for the final push up.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well Bless my Soul, the solvers keep coming! End of day four:

50 SeamusOL
51 Mr Tex
52 edestlin
53 Steve M
54 Jerry Miccolis
55 Anita and Steve
56 JR
57 ReB
58 Michaelm
59 CPJohnson
60 Jim23809
61 Deb W

I haven't even tried the WSJCC and I know there is a week 5 MGWCC dropping so I imagine the new solver rate will drop precipitously, but hey this has been a great response; thanks to all who solved so far.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

MarkWoychick wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:11 pm Off the couch - needed the last nudge (but none of the ones before it), and even then it took a couple of hours before the aha! Very clever, thanks @DrTom and team!
This is where I think I'm at. To take the last nudge or not, hmmm.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Bahahaha, got it nudge-free. Okay. @DrTom, you and I think alike! (Interpret that as you shall.)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I got pushed off the couch by the nudges, which I shouldn't have even needed. I was sitting at the airport and decided to take another look at it.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeyG wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:44 pm Bahahaha, got it nudge-free. Okay. @DrTom, you and I think alike! (Interpret that as you shall.)
Oh, I've known that for a while. It is kind of scary though, knowing there are two of us, heck there maybe more, let me check the pods in the cellar. :lol: :lol:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Eric Porter wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:58 pm I got pushed off the couch by the nudges, which I shouldn't have even needed. I was sitting at the airport and decided to take another look at it.
Just another fly-by-night meta? :)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Slowing...but not stopped! New solvers:

62 Mikey G
63 Eric Porter
64 Naptown Kid
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

One more into the barn:
65 sledge

It's official, most solved one yet, Thank you all for taking the time to take a pisition!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The Reveal:
Distinctly a "it takes a village" puzzle. I got the idea doing a non-meta, themed puzzle and said to myself, "this could be a meta". Of course of late I look at everything and wonder if it could be a meta; it's a sickness you know!

Anyway, I initially worked it up so the answer was FIRST M, with a prompt of "What every solver would like to be" and you were to infer the FIRST OF MANY from the mechanism you had used. I had @whimsy (Claudia) test it and she said "nice but you need to finish the thought. Grumbling I added the 5 more theme answers and reworked a grid growing ever more difficult. Then I sent it to @Abide and @Al Sisti for consideration as a MMM. They liked it but Al said "You ought to make the answer "M" and have "a fil/literary character in a leadership position", BRILLIANT. So that is the back story, and here is the reveal:
Positions Everyone Graphic Reveal.jpg
This got a lot of play and I am delighted that you all found it so interesting.

Tom
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Nice one Dr Tom. Only got after the nudges but had been trying this very metanism on another meta to no avail. Sigh.

Stay well all