"Power Pack" May 26, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

KayW wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:40 pm
LadyBird wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:46 am I didn't get to the forum here until Sunday evening and saw lots of references to the need for Google. Am I the only person who wasted her last bit of solving time on the Power Pack (Marvel comics about a group of young super heroes)?
Lucky for me I would have to have heard of that in order to waste time on it ;)
Oh.....I had never heard of it until Sunday night!
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

so i doubt anyone will actually end up seeing this at this point?
oops+all+towers.jpg
buuutttt i totally forgot for like, 2 weeks i guess that, in my post on this thread, i'd said i was going to share (and, injudiciously, probably way overhyped) a meme relevant to this week's tarot theme once Sunday's submission deadline was behind us etc.

so: an attempt at not completely forgetting everything i say on the internet....

(purposefully keeping any tarot talk surface-level..... but this very quick list of the tower card's possible meanings is, ultimately, just kind of indispensable for understanding the meme.....oh & also, upright/reversed just refers to how the cards can end up positioned in any given tarot spread..... oh oh, and also-also, sorry if like all of y'all on this forum already know all this tarot practice info or something? really not looking to be an inadvertent but still massive mansplainer rn..)

- Upright card (keywords): Accident or damage; Catastrophe; Destruction; Renovation; Unexpected change
- Reversed card (keywords): Illness; Losses; Obstacles; Volatile situation

(isn't one of the cardinal rules of memery probably about how like the over-explanation of a meme is literally the most immediate and only sure-fire way to destroy and ruin it forever? i'm sure it must be, please try to overlook that for like 4 seconds tho pretty please)
KayW

Post by KayW »

Okay. I'm so out of it I had to google the source of the meme. I'd never heard of "OOPS! All Berries" cereals nor all the resulting memes from that. So that information helped me make sense of this.

Just in case someone was living under the rock next to me:
http://www.wortsandcunning.com/blog/whoopsy-daisy

And this all ties in nicely to this past week's SSS meta.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

KayW wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:12 pm Okay. I'm so out of it I had to google the source of the meme. I'd never heard of "OOPS! All Berries" cereals nor all the resulting memes from that. So that information helped me make sense of this.

Just in case someone was living under the rock next to me:
http://www.wortsandcunning.com/blog/whoopsy-daisy

And this all ties in nicely to this past week's SSS meta.

Thanks for this! Definitely should have thought to include the source of the meme in the first place!
jchaput

Post by jchaput »

We recognized the tarot card category and researched the card numbers which led to the answer.