All Things Being Equal

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

MaineMarge wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:58 am Got it! Thanks Mark❤️
Seriously Super SSS

Nothing can equal this beauty today

IMG_9251.jpeg
Grown from a seedling found under her mother. Japanese variety peony
Oh MaineMarge! Can you send me a bit of that seed??? Gorgeous.
The other Wendy. :roll:
ReB

Post by ReB »

Fun sssolve, no nudges needed. Thanks
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Sssolved.
Untitledsssnakesss.png
Thanksss, Mark!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Wendy- no seed available. A seedling is a baby plant. Mom drops some seeds on the ground- some of them germinate and show up through the ground a YEAR later as baby plants. 2 years later you get the first bloom. I dig most of them for the compost pile ( or we’d have a million peonies, not 150)- this one got a reprieve, and sure was worth it. Most such seedlings are nothing special- 1 in 10 would be a special beauty, like this one.
Here’s another home grown beauty
IMG_4547.jpeg
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

The list of 40 solvers from day 1 is below (and please let me know if I missed you). I want to note one additional solver, which brings the total to 41: my oldest son, Nicklas, solved the meta today - my proudest moment as a meta constructor. Just confirming what the "other" Wendy mentioned: this puzzle could be a good intro meta!

Thanks to all who have solved so for and all the kind comments.

Abide
ajk
Alex Sisti
BarbaraK
Benchen
Berto
Bird Lives
BobStevens, cruise director
boharr
BrennerTJ
Cap'n Rick
Cindy Weatherman
CPJohnson
DIS
Dow Jones
GR
Gutman
HeadinHome
Hector
heidi
I K Snamhcok
imontoo
Jaclyn
JM
KayW
Laura M
lbray53
MaineMarge
Meg
michaelm
Mr Tex
PuzNewbie
ReB
rjy
SeamusOL
Snood
Wendy Walker
whimsy
woozy
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Fun meta, Mark! Didn't get to it until late...No nudges needed. Thanksss!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

SSSolved. Didn't get to this until today, but found the answer without the nudges. Very nice puzzle, Mark!
Matthew
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Another 10 solvers to add to the list, bringing the total to 51. Congrats to:

DrTom
Hoover
JHSeeman
Kurtalert
MatthewL
Qmark
Rick
Schmeel
Sharkickles
Tom Wilson
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Another 4 have crossed the finish line, and I think we are probably close to the end. Our total now is 55 solvers, though there are many who are very close to the solution based on what I'm seeing on Crosshare

Carolyn
Jim23809
Mikey G
mimka
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Today is my day to catch up on metas. SSSolved without nudges. Fun one. Thanks, Mark!
Cindy Heisler
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

We have two more solvers today - Cinny and Darrell - bringing our total to 57. Looks like we are winding things up as more puzzles appear during the week. Reveal on Saturday!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Just 50% of yesterday's new solvers to add, and that honor goes to Pair O Ducks. We now have 58 solvers. We are on the road tomorrow, so this is my last update until the reveal on Saturday. Thanks to all the solvers!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Looks like I'm the only one posting here, but we have three more solvers, bringing our final total to 61

dooiemus
jbird
sledge

And here's the reveal:

The meta answer is "Six of one, half a dozen of the other" - I didn't anticipate the many close variations of this phrase that solvers tried, so our actual number of solvers, at least in spirit, is likely higher than the total tallied on Crosshare.
IMG_0003.gif