MEOW #132 What in the Name of God?

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, nothing but crickets today. Good thing this is ending tomorrow! Guess I had better get the reveal graphic going for God's sake....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, reveal day, but first, one more person appeared on the solver board
55 dooiemus

YAY Double Nickels!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

THE REVEAL!
What in the name of God Graphic Reveal.jpg

This was an interesting meta for me. I got the idea from the Gods being the name of days of the week (Venus, goddess of love, Mars god of war, etc.) which would have been very easy BUT people tend to think about the Roman gods as Planets so Luna, Mars, Jupiter, Mercury, Venus, Sol would have worked, (and would have been easier to clue) but I feared people would not see those as gods. If you know any of the Romance languages the days of the week idea would have been easy to see because those languages employ those names (in French for example: Lundi, Mardi, Jeudi, Mercredi, Vendredi)

The Greek names are also fraught with snares in that people are not as familiar with them and Zeus and Aphrodite are harder to clue without a direct tip to their “godly” source (luckily Selene would not have been, but probably would have gone on and on). So, what is a constructor to do, use a mix of course. I might have been OK with straight Norse except for Tuesday which is named for the Norse god Tyr. Now why he could not have just made my life easier and been Tyre I don’t know because that would have made for a good year.

So we had 5 Norsemen and a Roman. That six days of the week with the all-important SATURDAY being missing from our list of seven. It probably was not the best of metas because there was too much “wiggle room” in the theme answers. As time went on I found out FRIGG could be FREYA/FREYR and various other variation on a theme with Norse names. But it appeared to be a popular puzzle, and I accepted a host of different answers because of the different “systems” under which the answer could be derived: SATURDAY, SATURN, LORDAG, VASKEDAGEN, LAUGARDAGR. Heck I’d have even accepted BATHDAY which, interestingly enough, is what one of those translates to (Laug = “hot water” Dagr = “day”.)

As always I want to thank my 55 solvers for their time and kindness in overlooking some of my unpolished bits and offer those who want to know more a couple of links to the naming of days of the week. I am glad I did not see the Wikipedia one until later or I would still be amending this puzzle!

Links:
https://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/en/pr ... 20(Friday).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_ ... 0Antiquity.
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

The clue for 20A is too funny! I didn't catch the "moon" reference until I looked up who Mani was. And 25A was cleverly clued too!
Seattle DB
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

Oops, I forgot to add that 63D stumped me until I figured out that "CAD" stands for Canadian Dollar. Another good clue!
Seattle DB
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:55 pm Now why he could not have just made my life easier and been Tyre I don’t know because that would have made for a good year.
Please, Dr., never stop being you.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

sharkicicles wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:04 am
DrTom wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:55 pm Now why he could not have just made my life easier and been Tyre I don’t know because that would have made for a good year.
Please, Dr., never stop being you.
Tried once, because people insisted, but it didn't stick.😁