Chain Link Offense - June 2023

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Saw the mechanism and thought of a band that made only a muffled click. With Muggle PM encouragement, I pressed on and found a band that actually did click.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

On the board. Big fan of the answer.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Red Herring solved (actually had it last month, but failed to submit). Good ideas for the MEGA, but need a bit more direction.

Haven't submitted June yet, but I think I have it.

Edit - on the board!
StunGun

Post by StunGun »

I think I found the solution, but am a bit disappointed. I found what I thought was an AWESOME correlation between some of the clues and some of the "answers", but can't seem to make it pan out for all of them. Too bad, it was very cool. If anyone else wants to discuss, feel free to PM me...
hoover

Post by hoover »

I think I'm on the board. Waiting for confirmation.
Edit -- Confirmed!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Finally on the board....was able to limit the number by guessing names and came out quickly.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

After filling out the grid (with the help of the web, per usual with the MMMM), and after scanning a list of potential answers, I relatively quickly found what I feel must be the answer. But I can't for the life of me come up with the metanism.

I guess that means that it's not the correct answer. Hmmm... May have to spend some time Mull(er)ing it over before the MGWCC comes out today.
BeaTea

Post by BeaTea »

HunterX wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:39 am After filling out the grid (with the help of the web, per usual with the MMMM), and after scanning a list of potential answers, I relatively quickly found what I feel must be the answer. But I can't for the life of me come up with the metanism.

I guess that means that it's not the correct answer. Hmmm... May have to spend some time Mull(er)ing it over before the MGWCC comes out today.
I wonder if we're thinking of the same band. I too am having trouble figuring out the mechanism, so it's purely a guess on my part.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Almost forgot. Thanks to someone who mentioned MMMM in another thread!! Whew. Got it readily. Slightly tricky.

Stay well
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Thanks to help from @HoldThatThought , I'm on the board. Never heard of the answer.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Found something could be an answer, but I can't see where its given on any list of alternative rock bands.
spid4567

Post by spid4567 »

I am completely at sea! I would appreciate a nudge from anyone who does have a clue!
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Printed the puzzle back on Tuesday but didn't get to working on it til today...managed to solve and get on the board with some list googling.
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the board!!!

I don’t know why, but I was SO mentally blocked on this one! I think the phrasing of the hint psyched me out.

Today was a new day! I did 3 things, any or all of which helped me solve —
- wrote on my todo list: “solve MMMM”
- wrote down a summary of my meta solving method
- ran to the high school and walked/ran back, 4 miles

After running, had to rest a little, so might as well look for the meta answer again.
What a relief! What an enjoyable AHA moment!
Googly

Post by Googly »

BethA

Post by BethA »

My first thought was that bar boat was not a thing, but then this came right up —
IMG_0420.jpeg

And I didn’t think Pete would be so devious to make one of the end words the replacement, since I wasn’t really sure if it should wrap around or not. I thought I’d never get it, but finally my mind let go of certain assumptions. Today I saw the light!
BethA

Post by BethA »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:02 pm Thanks to help from @HoldThatThought , I'm on the board. Never heard of the answer.
This helped me. My first pass through the big list was only to focus on 8 and 9 letter bands that I’d heard of. Instead of bands, I focused on what could possibly go with the words. And found it!
KayW

Post by KayW »

The first thing this :notes: :sauropod: did was google a list of alt rock bands. I just worked my way through the list until I found a name that “worked”.

Never heard of the answer band.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

BethA wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:53 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:02 pm Thanks to help from @HoldThatThought , I'm on the board. Never heard of the answer.
This helped me. My first pass through the big list was only to focus on 8 and 9 letter bands that I’d heard of. Instead of bands, I focused on what could possibly go with the words. And found it!
Yeah, definitely an exercise of working your way through a huge list to see what works, unless you were a big fan of the answer, I suppose.