WSJ 6/8 Puzzle

A place to discuss regular (non-meta) crossword puzzles.
CptnCodon

WSJ 6/8 Puzzle

Post by CptnCodon »

Oof! This was the trickiest daily solve for me in quite a while, but very satisfying.

Unfortunately, Brad/Mike are getting a lot of hate in the comment section. I kinda understand -- this puzzle is a lot tougher than normal, and a lot of folks just aren't looking for that in a crossword.

That said, I bet most muggles would enjoy!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wow, I haven’t seen that many comments on the WSJ site since the muggles moved here. I agree, the puzzle was clever, and added a nice comment.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
LesY

Post by LesY »

I totally want to check this one out now.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Able to complete it by inching along certain entries (you know which ones!) with "check" feature.
Only saw the 56A implications after the fact. Too bad since an earlier realization could have helped with the fill! :P
Definitely more meta-ish rather than a simple crossword.
Understandable that others looking for the usual would have been taken aback, but lots of fun for me!
Meg

Post by Meg »

After seeing 85 comments on the WSJ site, I had to try it. Fun! After solving I went back to the WSJ and started reading the comments. Those people are MEAN! I stopped reading because I don’t invite senseless negativity into my life. I wonder how many of the commenters didn’t get it.
Personally, I was impressed with the construction. Brad should come over to the Muggle side.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Thanks for opening this thread! I solved this gem in Thursday's hardcopy paper, but I seldom remember to look at the WSJ site for comments. I added my own two cents as Barbara did, just to try and counter the bad vibes.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.