DEF JAM WSJ Cryptic

Enter if you dare!
oldjudge

DEF JAM WSJ Cryptic

Post by oldjudge »

This weeks WSJ variety puzzle is a hex by Cox and Rathvon. I thought it was very well done and a lot of fun. If anyone needs help with word plays feel free to message me.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’m working my way through it slowly and really enjoying the challenge. Need to brush up on my pig Latin. Done! Thanks to @oldjudge, who helped with the one I couldn't crack. Sometimes my brain just gets stuck on one thing. I'm with @KayW. What does the title mean?
Last edited by Meg on Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Wow, that was my favorite HEX in some time. I suppose what could have made it even better was to yield some kind of final answer, but I’m not seeing how the multiple mechanisms could have done that.

What fun!
TMart

Post by TMart »

This was really incredible - a double cryptic! Lots of fun.
KayW

Post by KayW »

TMart wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:37 pm This was really incredible - a double cryptic! Lots of fun.
A triple cryptic for me :lol: I am still trying to decipher how the title comes into play. I don’t think it’s a spoiler to ask if someone can explain that?

I’m also still struggling with two of the entries, but want to let them simmer on my brain’s back burner a while longer before asking for help there. I know which “flavor” each must be and the likely answers based on crosses, but haven’t been able to crack them just yet.

A most fun way to start the day.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Miki

Post by Miki »

I got the grid completed minus one letter. I have 6 of each type, and 5 spoonerisms. Which means the one clue I can't solve most be a spoonerism, but it just doesn't look right. I need a nudge. Since I already mentioned spoonerism, I won't put in the clue number, unless you pm me and offer help.
Miki

Post by Miki »

A triple cryptic for me :lol: I am still trying to decipher how the title comes into play. I don’t think it’s a spoiler to ask if someone can explain that?
Title explained : In each clue the def is jam(med)
KayW

Post by KayW »

Miki wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:57 am

Title explained : In each clue the def is jam(med)
Doh! of course. Very clever - thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Miki wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:53 am I got the grid completed minus one letter. I have 6 of each type, and 5 spoonerisms. Which means the one clue I can't solve most be a spoonerism, but it just doesn't look right. I need a nudge. Since I already mentioned spoonerism, I won't put in the clue number, unless you pm me and offer help.
my six spoonerisms were 23A, 29A, 4D, 6D, 13D and 20D
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

What fun, indeed! I do love a variety puzzle that gives my aging brain a good workout, be it Patrick Berry or Cox & Rathvon. (And I concur with Richard B. on his nudge to Miki.)
Barney

Post by Barney »

Whoa

Literally
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Really enjoyed this- quite a brain workout
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Miki

Post by Miki »

Thank you Richard B. Your spoiler list was very helpful. Found my uncounted spoonerism, and found the correct/ uncounted mechanism. Now I'm done!
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

As usual, awesome puzzle from Cox and Rathvon.

I have been trying to find out if they plan to continue to publish puzzles. They no longer work with the Boston Globe and they stopped offering acrostics for the NYT. I was very happy to see this puzzle appear and hope to see many more.

Has anyone seen any official announcements about them? They tend to be cryptic (ahem) in their own communications.
Jack Sullivan
DebbieC

Post by DebbieC »

Absolutely loved this puzzle. I've been doing cryptics for years and especially enjoy HEX. They've outdone themselves with this one. Finally got the whole grid late last night and just finally figured out how the last 2 mechanisms worked. So sly!!!
Glad to give nudges/hints to those who want them.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Agree with the above. 11ac gave me a headache for some reason… and 7dn a def(jam) google…
Loved it!
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

I approached thinking "never gonna get it." But things started falling into place and became quite fun.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Printed this out after coming home from family gathering in OH. This was a fun one; I think I did one by HEX similar to this quite a while ago. Nice challenge.