"Couples Only" June 2, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is TRIO. Each of the four theme answers contains three double letters: ROSANNA ARQUETTE, BLOOPER REEL, DO A GOOD DEED and COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Those double letters spell NAT, ORE, ODE and LOL, each of which has a clue that also works for it: NAT: “Turner of note” (TED); ORE: “Mined material” (ROCK); ODE: “Kind of poem” (IDYLL); LOL: “Common three-letter text” (OMG). The first letters of those answers spell the contest answer.

Sorry for the delay this week! We had a huge and successful turnout, more than we expected for a puzzle we thought was tricky: 2,430 entries, 87% correct. Substantial showings for DUET (28) and RIOT (27), plus scattered others with smaller numbers including GOLF, LEGS, and OREO (2 each).

Congratulations to this week's winner: Tate Baker of Canton, Ga.!
Kas

Post by Kas »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:17 pm
JeanneC wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:35 am Would love to win a mug for solving. Chances of that are so slim I’d rather save luck like that for a lottery ticket.
So for my birthday in August (or the 42nd wedding anniversary this month), does anybody know where I can ask hubby to get a mug made that says something like “Muggle meta solver” or words to that effect?

I think @Kas's wife could tell you where to get a mug with "WSJ Crossword Champion Wannabe" or something like that:) Unless I'm totally mis-remembering, which is always possible
I can totally make that happen. 😊 DM me, (or email kdecarvalho@gmail) to remind me, and I’m happy to pass along that intel. I know she designed it, and I’m pretty sure she probably has a shareable file, then it was just some online shop or other…