Section Eight (WSJ) 05/26)

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
Bird Lives

Section Eight (WSJ) 05/26)

Post by Bird Lives »

Neat puzzle, but it requires a certain precision. I was one space off in the fourth circle and when I realized it, I had to write very heavily over nearly a half-circle of letters.
Jay
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Having done a ton of these variety puzzles -- also when Patrick Berry guest-produces the weekly Meta -- I think he is the most talented constructor out there. His clueing is outstanding! Shenk is a close second.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Amazing construction. Thought at first I would work from the outside in, but when that didn’t work, I switched to every which way — outside in, inside out, middle in and middle out. Very well done, Mr. Berry!
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:04 pm Neat puzzle, but it requires a certain precision. I was one space off in the fourth circle and when I realized it, I had to write very heavily over nearly a half-circle of letters.

No way I was solving this without an eraser!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:33 am Having done a ton of these variety puzzles -- also when Patrick Berry guest-produces the weekly Meta -- I think he is the most talented constructor out there. His clueing is outstanding! Shenk is a close second.
Did you do his Middle of the Road?
https://aframegames.com/puzzles/MiddleOfTheRoad.pdf
Jay
ReB

Post by ReB »

That was enjoyable, needed lots of deduction to complete the rings. I worked both inward (mostly) and outward, including some mostly skipped rings that I filled in later working in both directions. Head slap on Ring 8, which I blanked out on until the very end.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Bird Lives wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:49 am
mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:33 am Having done a ton of these variety puzzles -- also when Patrick Berry guest-produces the weekly Meta -- I think he is the most talented constructor out there. His clueing is outstanding! Shenk is a close second.
No have to try that one!
Barney

Post by Barney »

Unusually difficult

Having done others in the past

Unfortunately don’t have time to spend this weekend
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

I was able to work this from the outside in, an uncommon thing. A good PB puzzle.
DebbieC

Post by DebbieC »

Excellent puzzle. Another in a long line of amazing Patrick Berry contributions to the art. Well worth the effort.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Bird Lives wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:49 am
OMG. Just spent 30 minutes looking at it and I can barely understand the instructions! I see where he is going but hoo boy! I am really not very good at cryptic crosswords and this strikes me as similar. Will give it a go though. Thanks for the suggestion!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Really fun and challenging. At the beginning I had that familiar "completely lost" feeling -- How are we supposed to do this?! The starting points for each entry aren't given and we don't even know if it's clockwise or the reverse! But I got most of the outer ring, which allowed me to get the innermost two rings (fortunately the clues were straightforward), and from then on I made steady progress. Patrick Berry is a master!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Finally!! I picked it up for the 5th time and decided to just (unlike Wendy) use my pencil and plow in. Only had to erase a few times. Mercifully, it gets easier as you move inward. Thanks, PB.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got to this one late (we were visiting), and like others here, I needed to do lots of erasing. But the feeling of accomplishment is quite nice.