May Flowers by Steve Mossberg (May 15, 2023)

Enter if you dare!
Richard B.

May Flowers by Steve Mossberg (May 15, 2023)

Post by Richard B. »

Another enjoyable challenge from Steve. Thanks!
For those who partake, what is “bottleful” doing in the second down clue (for AROSE)?

Edit: In answer to my “spoiler” above which was also sent to Steve, he emailed as follows: In this case "pink bottleful" is just Rosé, but it surely could have been just "pink" or "bottleful" as well. I opted to go a bit more descriptive than usual in some of the charade pieces because the thematic device was harder than usual. Of course this might have also produced the odd thematic red herring as well.
Last edited by Richard B. on Tue May 16, 2023 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Loved this one!

Steve’s variety cryptics put me in mind of the late Henry Hook’s puzzles, which I’d find in wire-bound compilations some 20 to 30 years ago.

And possibly also Cox and Rathbon’s “Puzzlers” for The Atlantic from way back then. Which, as memory serves me, were typically at least a bit harder than their monthly-or-so variety cryptics for the WSJ.
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

Glad to see Steve Mossberg’s Square Chase efforts get their due as part of the Muggle cryptic site. As a Maltby disciple who loves clever anagrams, Steve’s puzzles were an acquired taste for me, since he seems to eschew such clues. But his clever and innovative themes have won me over. The fact that he can consistently produce two such puzzles a month — invariably on time — is even more impressive. Currently running about a puzzle behind as he releases them. I look forward to the May Flowers blooming.