I've Got The Music In Me - May 2023

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

Hmmmm… I’m 100% sure that I figured out the mechanism, and have a very clear phrase to go to Google with, but Google is taking me to California, not Britain. Frustrating.
markhr

Post by markhr »

What an idiot. I tell myself, always re-read the instructions before submitting, but I didn't do it this time. Wrong answer.
Figured out the right answer about 60 seconds too late. Grrrr....
rjy

Post by rjy »

Got burned… solid click, but it was wrong. Ugh.
Ray
rjy

Post by rjy »

rjy wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:02 am Got burned… solid click, but it was wrong. Ugh.
Tried resubmitting and, to my surprise, my subsequent answer was accepted
Ray
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Busy week, almost forgot about this one coming in on Tuesday....got it!
Googly

Post by Googly »

Laura M

Post by Laura M »

pjc wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:11 pm This is one of those ones where I clearly had a wrong answer (according to the prompt), but couldn't figure out for the life of me what the right answer was. And then it hit me.
Waited until now (because spoiler) to say "I see what you did there" :-)
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

Now that the contest is closed... does anybody want to clue me in to where I was supposed to go after CLAW HAMMER? I hit a dead end at that point. No bands named that (except the one from California), wasn't finding any songs named that, couldn't find any real popular banjo bands from Britain in the 80s... didn't find any other clues/answers in the puzzle that related to the phrase... stumped. Grrrrr.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Kurt:

Reapply the mechanism that brought you to clawhammer, or, should I say...

claWHAMmer.

PS: I should note - for those who might still not be familiar - that the site Diary of a Crossword Fiend is a treasured resource for puzzle fans. Talented, dedicated and clever Team Fiend members discuss and review many of the most popular puzzles on a daily basis. Daily grids get written up on the day of publication, contest puzzles, such as the metas, are only reported after the submission deadline has closed. The solution to the May Muller Monthly Music Meta was published yesterday.

https://crosswordfiend.com/
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

Oh, duh... I completely should have known to do that. Grrrrr. Oh well!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

May 2023 MMMM Ive Got the Music in Me - reveal.png
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Everyone is welcome to post their reveals in all meta threads on this site, post-deadline.

In the near future, a call will be posted for muggles to open, follow, & answer specific meta puzzles across the spectrum.

Look for your opportunity to take ownership of & regularly contribute to site features that benefit all muggles.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Pete's solution and song are posted here.

Tamara @BrennerTJ's reveal:

mkmf

Post by mkmf »

markhr wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:19 pm What an idiot. I tell myself, always re-read the instructions before submitting, but I didn't do it this time. Wrong answer.
Figured out the right answer about 60 seconds too late. Grrrr....
+1 on the 2nd sentence (my bolding). But I didn't realize it until not making it on the leaderboard. Embarrassed that I choose "Kinda Easy" when submitting the wrong answer. :oops:
BeaTea

Post by BeaTea »

So I overanalyzed this one a bit, but still got it. I saw the title of the puzzle I've Got the Music in Me was a song by Kiki Dee. Then when I googled Clawhammer I learned that is was a song by Elton John. Elton John and Kiki Dee did a duet Don't Go Breaking My Heart. So I thought the clawhammer could break hearts with a Wham! and then noticed wham was also in clawhammer. Whatever gets me there, I guess.