"Trending Ending" November 4, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

halfplainrabbit.jpg
With so many successful solvers and a paucity of Muggles lost The XWord Rabbit is at loose ends regarding Mr. Gaffney’s “Trending Ending” puzzle. He appreciates SusieG’s game try, going down Rabbit Hole Road, but alas, no nominees this week.

There is, however, one bright spot! Your Rabbit was unfamiliar with the phrase “double bigram” but no longer. It’s a sequence of two adjacent elements, typically letters or symbols or words, repeated twice. Five of them appeared at the end of each anchor entry in the puzzle: HAHA, TITI, COCO, MEME and LULU. Those same pairs of letters appeared elsewhere in the grid as the beginning of 3-letter words, the last letters of which anagrammed to the meta: SLYLY.

Given the circumstances, your Rabbit has chosen to end this week's modest report by furthering your education in popular culture.

Did you ever realize that Carmen Miranda built her entire career, singing in bigrams?
Wonder no more – and see you next time!

Last edited by The XWord Rabbit on Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Friday will be Veterans Day, but as far as I can see, WSJ will be published that day. Right? No need to worry about missing meta-day?
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Cbaudhuin

Post by Cbaudhuin »

Ashore at last,