Go-Betweens

Enter if you dare!
oldjudge

Go-Betweens

Post by oldjudge »

The weekend WSJ variety is a Cox and Rathvon hex—lots of fun with a few less easy clues.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

As usual, oldjudge speaks the truth: This one IS fun! (As if Cox & Rathvon ever let us down.)
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Fun from Cox and Rathvon.

They have done their last acrostic for the NYT and last year retired from the Boston Globe. I wonder if they are stepping back from constructing puzzles after a career of almost 50 years. They’re the best.
Jack Sullivan
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

We can hope that HEX do no more than slow down some. I’d really miss their puzzles — the variety cryptics, in particular. I remember feeling crushed when The Atlantic discontinued the “Puzzler” however many years ago that was.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

That decision by The Atlantic scarred me for life. If Harper's ever does the same, I'm gonna need a support group.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Another winner from HEX!

...and just as I was going to type up my request for help interpreting 3 entries where I was stumped on either the answer or the wordplay, I took one last look and near-post-enlightenment struck.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Barney

Post by Barney »

KayW wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:06 pm Another winner from HEX!

...and just as I was going to type up my request for help interpreting 3 entries where I was stumped on either the answer or the wordplay, I took one last look and near-post-enlightenment struck.
A few years ago, people helped when asked.

Nowadays little if at all.

This isn’t a complaint; it’s a fact.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Agree with everyone else, this was another fun HEX puzzle. I guessed at a few of the Go-Betweens just from reading them. I, too, had to read a clue or two over before figuring out the word play; they always amaze me that they come up with new and novel clues. (I will always help if asked, BTW.)
Meg

Post by Meg »

Enjoyed this as usual. I think every time I get the answer to a clue, a little dopamine is released inside my brain. It’s a series of lovely little Aha! moments. Thanks, HEX.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Barney

Post by Barney »

iggystan wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:03 pm Agree with everyone else, this was another fun HEX puzzle. I guessed at a few of the Go-Betweens just from reading them. I, too, had to read a clue or two over before figuring out the word play; they always amaze me that they come up with new and novel clues. (I will always help if asked, BTW.)
Noted.

Before the WSJ curtailed its discussion forum, there were long conversations, questions, answers, help.

That ended, replaced now by a few insider homages to Henry, Emily and the puzzle. Frustrating and useless for those of us who’d like to learn.

I love Patrick Berry puzzles. But I don’t show up on every PB puzzle forum merely to extol him.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Barney wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:01 pm
iggystan wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:03 pm Agree with everyone else, this was another fun HEX puzzle. I guessed at a few of the Go-Betweens just from reading them. I, too, had to read a clue or two over before figuring out the word play; they always amaze me that they come up with new and novel clues. (I will always help if asked, BTW.)
Noted.

Before the WSJ curtailed its discussion forum, there were long conversations, questions, answers, help.

That ended, replaced now by a few insider homages to Henry, Emily and the puzzle. Frustrating and useless for those of us who’d like to learn.

I love Patrick Berry puzzles. But I don’t show up on every PB puzzle forum merely to extol him.

I thought you might have been talking about help here in these forums. I didn't know that WSJ had a discussion forum, unless you are talking about the comments section on the puzzle page which requires a subscription to enter comments.

I'm not sure how to interpret your last statement. I usually comment on all of the variety and cryptic puzzles. (Not usually much discussion about the acrostic puzzles here.)
Barney

Post by Barney »

iggystan wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:08 pm
Barney wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:01 pm
Noted.

I thought you might have been talking about help here in these forums. I didn't know that WSJ had a discussion forum, unless you are talking about the comments section on the puzzle page which requires a subscription to enter comments.

I'm not sure how to interpret your last statement. I usually comment on all of the variety and cryptic puzzles. (Not usually much discussion about the acrostic puzzles here.)
Before the WSJ page was curtailed for time and subscribers, there were lively ongoing discussions, questions, hints that started vague and would become less so. It was great for learning.

This forum *could* do that but doesn’t. Seems the only people left have nothing to learn and little interest to help.

Just my frustration really.
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

I enjoyed this puzzle. Not too hard - and I always like a payoff at the end.
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)
ChrisKochmanski

Tom Wilson wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:27 pm That decision by The Atlantic scarred me for life. If Harper's ever does the same, I'm gonna need a support group.
In case you’re not aware, Steve Mossberg provides fun variety cryptics through his service called Square Chase. I get email notices from him; it seems like they’re twice per month or so, though I haven’t been keeping track. I don’t have a link for you, but it’s a Patreon thing (Steve doesn’t ask for much), so I’m sure you can find it with a search.
ChrisKochmanski

FYI, today (Sun Apr 23), The New Yorker’s cryptic is by HEX. It’s a fairly easy one (as TNY’s have been, at least recently), so for me the fun of it became: “How fast can I do this?” I didn’t time myself, but it seemed like 10 or 15 minutes.