"Metaphorical Animals" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Same as DrTom -- pretty much one word from #4 dumped me in the castle. Was fun finding all the meta beasts in the grid. Thanks, Ben!
Untitledxxx.png
Clark E. Tripe

Post by Clark E. Tripe »

This one was right in my tech wheelhouse! De-MOAT-ed!
"I'm a paper tape guy in a punch card world"
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Yeah, there's something I'm missing, but I'll try to get these animals together later! (Haven't you herd?)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The nudges have clearly helped some of you to wrangle those pesky metaphorical animals:

THC
Mg305
SeamusOL
Teamdoubletow
Spid4567
DrTom
Dow Jones
DCBilly
kurtalert
Clark E Tripe
MrTheHan
Johnny Luau
rayyandroid
frostyjhammer
SJMcK
Mike D
capybara
SJ
Chaddog
maturin
LindaPRmaven

That brings us up to 50! Next update will be Monday morning (Australia time) right before the answer reveal.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

It took some Googling but I was finally able to limp across the moat. Thanks, Ben!
Cindy Heisler
ajk

Post by ajk »

Had everything done quickly, but needed nudge 4, as I was unfamiliar with the animal's connection to the tech industry, and google failed to turn it up.
Fun stuff regardless, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

ajk wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:04 pm Had everything done quickly, but needed nudge 4, as I was unfamiliar with the animal's connection to the tech industry, and google failed to turn it up.
Fun stuff regardless, thanks.
This is where I'm at, haha. To take nudge #4 or not take nudge #4, that is the question.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Needed nudge 4. Had it all right up to nudge 3 and my Google-fu failed to uncover the answer. Like others, I learned something today!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Needed nudge 4 and floundered across the moat.
Cynthia
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Final solver update, bringing us up to 62:

Cindy Heisler
Ashutosh Sodhani
whimsy
Pair O Ducks
DebbieC
ajk
JHSeeman
Tane
edestlin
CPJohnson
Mikey G
jbird
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution for "Metaphorical Animals":

Metaphorical Animals (solution).png

A few people struggled with the GRAY entry, with good reason. The term "gray rhino" was only coined in 2016 in a book by Michelle Wucker. (See here for the comparison between black swans and gray rhinos.)

It also turns out that not everyone has heard of warrant canaries. I guess my connection to internet security (I teach various computing subjects at secondary level) meant I underestimated their ubiquity in the public consciousness. That said, I must have had some qualms about this puzzle, since it was a rare one I got play-tested (or was I submitting it to MMM? I don't remember.) However, I seem to recall Abide saying that it was a very obscure answer. But I went ahead with it anyway! For more information see here.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I hadn't heard of the term but I was able to google it. I couldn't seem to find it by searching for variations on METAPHOR ANIMALS WARRANT, so in the search bar I just started typing "WARRANT A" "WARRANT B" and when I typed "WARRANT C", the canary popped up. I'm glad it wasn't a WARRANT ZEBRA :lol: (but really, it was not that tedious)

And I found it a fascinating topic to learn about, so thanks very much for yet another educational meta!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

KayW wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:17 pm And I found it a fascinating topic to learn about, so thanks very much for yet another educational meta!
Once a teacher, always a teacher! :D