MEOW #123 Play Dough

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:16 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:57 pm Got it! Re: the 46D clue, are you referring to Swift's Houyhnhnms? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houyhnhnm

The_Servants_Drive_a_Herd_of_Yahoos_into_the_Field,_from_Gulliver's_Travels.jpg
Okay.... I couldn't resist.

That is now a key component to my latest woozy meta
I solved it as well - try it, it will bring out the animal in you!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Saturday Evening
Looks like the solvers are all hiding Easter Eggs. Three more to add but this is likely to be it:
46 MrTex
47 Wendy Walker
48 Darrell

Did you notice other words in the gris suspiciously close to the theme words? Now if they are only 1 letter off, what does that suggest?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
markhr

Post by markhr »

Late start, but I got it. Pretty smooth.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Late start here too, and I agree that it's very smooth. Great job, @DrTom!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Didn't knead any cue, it just took thyme to get to as your puzzle was weighting in queue. Cat is out and rolling in dough.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Cat was nudged awake.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Needed serious nudges but cat finally managed to escape the bag...thanks for the puzzle!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well now, just when I was going to say that the solving is probably over I get a few more today:
49 markhr
50 Cap'n Rick
51 Joan Meyer
52 ReB
53 hoover
54 Qmark

Wow, 54 solvers, I cannot tell you how happy that makes me. Every constructor wants people to solve their puzzle. Yes we all get enticed by the dark side (i.e. "this is a clever mechanism that will take some deciphering...Mwah, HA, Ha!") but in truth we really just want a lot of folks to see, and hopefully like, our "babies".
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Last one:
The "money" themers; where might their alternatives be? Cash - let me ask my Momma (and my Poppa), Cent - you might end up wrestling with that one for a while. Lira - I'll bet that what they pay Italian Directors with...
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Money you should mention it, this was no cash in the pan! @DrTom is quite an asset with puzzles that are mint for us. It just makes cents!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeyG wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:15 pm Money you should mention it, this was no cash in the pan! @DrTom is quite an asset with puzzles that are mint for us. It just makes cents!
Thank you Mike, I guess I'll just keep doing what I have been doing, I don't want to make any change. Just don't call the coppers on me, I haven't got dime for that! :D
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

whoops :oops:
For the record, I posted on the wrong thread. See Clark's "Happy Anniversary" instead, please.
Happens to the best of us --
Untitledoops.png
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well the last few are in:
55 MikeyG
56 Johnny Luau

With 56 solvers I am declaring this a rousing success for me. I'd like to think there would have been scads more except that everyone saw my last couple and said, "That guy! - I don't think so!!!"

However, thanks to all who took the time to play Play Dough
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The "tell all" story...

I'd been working on this for a while (as Abide alluded to) and refining it. Originally it was NOT symmetric and had some distinctly clunkier fill. Some admonition (and encouragement) by testers made me polish it up so it actually turned out pretty good. One of its original weaknesses was the Title which did not really tie very well with the answer. Thankfully our ever creative Josh came through with Play Dough (by the way for the record it was Josh who named my old puzzle Autocorrect in August of 2021 just like last week's WSJ). I tried to include a subtle hint to the length of the answer. Just like with the Justice league one where the picture had not six, but seven members (and a 7 letter answer), this one had only 5 balls of Play Dough for the 5 letter answer.

The idea was that you would see the symmetric money terms and them find the almost same word that was one letter off. From there your Meta capabilities would have told you that you either had to use the letter that was replaced or the letter that replaced it. In this case it was the letter that replaced it. If you did your Grid hopefully looked something like this:
Play Dough Graphic Reveal.jpg
So another MEOW over the dam; however don't get too comfy because Josh already told me I have THIS week's as well. It should not be much harder but I warn you up front it is NOT symmetric...so Wednesday be OTLO!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

#til OTLO