MGWCC #774 — “A Little Off”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

This was one of those rare ones where you didn't actually have to solve the grid to get to the answer (although it helped clarify some of the clues). I was deep into it before realizing that.
woozy

Post by woozy »

SewYoung wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:56 pm This was one of those rare ones where you didn't actually have to solve the grid to get to the answer (although it helped clarify some of the clues). I was deep into it before realizing that.
I think you need the grid to narrow down the possible alternate letters. Otherwise it'd be like trying to stumble on a correct combination in a lock.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Screen Shot 2023-04-09 at 3.37.46 PM.png
-Tamara