Nice Game

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Updated List of Solvers

54 THC
55 Dave G
56 minimuggle
57 ReB
58 mkmf
59 Jeremy Smith
60 Johnny Luau
61 Sharkicicles
62 Darrell
63 Alvibu67
64 JeanneC
65 SeamusOL
66 jbird
67 DavyGravy

Need one more to fill out the full March Madness field of 68.
Who wants in?
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Great job, Mike! I was late to the table and feeling a bit intimidated by the "sport" theme. It turned out to be a lot of fun and very clever. Bravo!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

michaelm wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:31 am Need one more to fill out the full March Madness field of 68.
Who wants in?
I do, I do! :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Oh my goodness. This one's a real forehead slapper. Wonderful debut, fun grid and meta! Thanks for the puzzle!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Friday Morning MMM Solver Update

68 ship4u
69 LindaPRmaven
70 edestlin
71 bhamren
72 DIS
73 Byron
74 Anonymous Crossharer
75 Frostyjhammer
76 sw3aterCS
77 Kazr
78 JR
79 Supercruciverbalistic
80 Eric
81 James
82 Sanne Budd

The course will remain open for runners and walkers until Sunday morning, so feel free to join in.
Links available in Post #1.
Thanks everyone!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Fanstastic debut puzzle and a unique mechanism!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Final Group of Solvers

83 Edestlin
84 Dawn Landry
85 Steven Newman
86 sarahlou28
87 woozy
88 Jimbo
89 Tane

I believe that covers everyone who submitted a correct solution on this forum and/or on Crosshare.

Meta Solution

Given that the five theme answers contained a total of TEN "NI"s, the answer to the meta was TENNIS.
As suspected, solvers mostly found it a lob and were able to return with an easy overhead smash.
NIcely played.

Couch of the Week - Meta Solution Edition

You might think you'd have to photoshop a couch into a tennis court, but apparently not so:
The roof of this bright red tennis clubhouse by Rotterdam firm MVRDV doubles up as an expansive seating area for game spectators.
Located in east Amsterdam on one the artificial islands that make up the city's IJburg neighbourhood, the building provides a new facility for a tennis club established in 2008, which already has 10 clay courts and a tennis school.
Rather than developing a simple rectilinear structure, MVRDV felt the building could also integrate bleacher-style seating, encouraging visitors to clamber up onto the roof and watch the games talking place alongside.
To allow this, the curved roof is raised up on the rear north side, but dips all the way down to ground level at the south-facing front.
This creates a bowl-like seating area with steps spanning its entire width. It also inspired the name, The Couch.

Again, thanks to everyone for getting off the couch this week!
All your encouragement and comments just confirmed on a very personal level how special this community is.
Mike

TennisCouch.jpg
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

90 Naptown Kid

Nudgeless, crossed wires via PM this morning during Post #47
Thanks!
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

When do we get to see a completed grid? And also an explanation for the meta? This "Curious George" wants to know. Thx!
Seattle DB
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

dsbened,
The solution to the meta is posted above in #47.
If you'd like a completed grid, send me a PM and I will attach a pdf for you.
Thanks!
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

Thx for the great debut puzzle, and then for PMing me the solved grid. I'll be looking forward to more from you, hopefully soon!
Seattle DB
Jade

Post by Jade »

We just remembered we never solved this, and finally looked at the hints - got it at nudge 3. Definitely a forehead-slapper, but a really fun puzzle!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Jade wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:30 pm We just remembered we never solved this, and finally looked at the hints - got it at nudge 3. Definitely a forehead-slapper, but a really fun puzzle!
It's never too late :lol:
Thanks!