In the Fun House — by HEX, WSJ, 03/11/23

Enter if you dare!
ChrisKochmanski

In the Fun House — by HEX, WSJ, 03/11/23

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Great fun from HEX!

When I first read the instructions, I got a bit, ahem, spooked, but once I got rolling, this puzzle fell into place beautifully.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Finally cracked the fourth room! Made a mess of that quadrant but had lots of fun figuring it out!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Jace54 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:20 pm Finally cracked the fourth room! Made a mess of that quadrant but had lots of fun figuring it out!
I'm still working on that room. Really enjoyed the other three. Going to put it down and go to bed. I expect it will all make sense in the morning.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Fun puzzle—thanks to my buddy Meg for pointing it out to me. I especially liked 1A.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

I always, always enjoy a cryptic from EC and HR.

I hope we continue to see them in rotation in the WSJ. As noted here a while ago, the National Post of Canada discontinued their weekly cryptic last year. Also the NYTimes will no longer run their acrostic after this month which means we’re left to enjoy this weekend’s offering and one more in two weeks. I’m not sure how much input EC and HR had in these decisions. If retirement is the primary reason, I hope they have a long and enjoyable one. In any event, they will be missed.
Meg

Post by Meg »

The mirror room was a tooh! Thanks, HEX.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Meg wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:05 am The mirror room was a tooh! Thanks, HEX.
Yes it was. Had to look again this morning to finish that one. Took the second cup of coffee to wrap my head around it.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Yep. A FUN HOUSE indeed!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Barney

Post by Barney »

What would be the equivalent rating of an MGWCC for this puzzle (Week 1 super easy — Week 5 killer)?
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Wow! That last quadrant was a doozy! But I loved it..
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Like Chris K, I thought at first that it would be much harder than it turned out to be. C&R are great.
Jay
Berto

Post by Berto »

Glad I used pencil to fill in the grid, especially for that ‘hall of mirrors’ quadrant!
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Way late to the party, for some reason I had printed this but left it to languish. As mentioned, the instructions sounded a little daunting, but once started, this fell into place nicely. Always love a HEX cryptic.