MGWCC #771 — “Plural Transferral”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed even closer to the 300 mark than @DrTom after a much appreciated kindly nudge. Kinda sad to get my second 10 badge on a week 2 where I needed a nudge, but such is life. :)
Don't think I'd have gotten there solo.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up!
Cindy Heisler
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Beam me up Scotty. I was truly in plural purgatory
Barney

Post by Barney »

Aught for 3 this week

Wsj; (vicious) cryptic; and this.

I shredded them and put them out of my misery.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

beamed up.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Submitted. Hoping to be beamed up soon.

Edit - on the board at #333. I need to pick better travel days so I can get the puzzles done more timely.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Finally submitted.
KayW

Post by KayW »

KayW wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:26 am Submitted my non-100% guess answer early this morning. Waiting for Matt to wake up and open the box to see if I made it.
(and yeah I could ask a beam-ee now but what fun is that?)

EDIT: Whoops. New streak starts next week.

EDIT EDIT: Wow. Now I'm on the board. This cat is getting dizzy!
EDIT EDIT EDIT... And now I'm NOT :dizzy_face: :lol: That poor cat! I wonder if that was his ninth life. I did not take a screenshot but I am SURE I was on the leaderboard for a while.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

KayW wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:15 am
KayW wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:26 am Submitted my non-100% guess answer early this morning. Waiting for Matt to wake up and open the box to see if I made it.
(and yeah I could ask a beam-ee now but what fun is that?)

EDIT: Whoops. New streak starts next week.

EDIT EDIT: Wow. Now I'm on the board. This cat is getting dizzy!
EDIT EDIT EDIT... And now I'm NOT :dizzy_face: :lol: That poor cat! I wonder if that was his ninth life. I did not take a screenshot but I am SURE I was on the leaderboard for a while.
I'm guessing that some of the "wrong" answers had the right idea and even found the right pair, but didn't follow the prompt (*grid entries*). More later...
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I'd rather be sentenced to a year of British cryptics than a week of madman rage metas.

Awaiting beamage.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

At least, with the British cryptics, I'd learn something.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

That the British are still getting us back for that whole Lexington and Concord/Tea Party thing?
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

I think I'm in just under the wire. I can't believe all of the work I did to finally just come up with it by eyeballing the grid.
Matt / Flamingbear
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

There might be other ways to think about it, but this is what worked for me:
771 Plural Transferral grid.png
771 Plural Transferral table.png
-Tamara
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm starting to wonder if there's some kind of mega meta going on with weirdly clued foods. First it was "beloved mushrooms". This week, 37D “Food fried at fairs (funnily...)” What’s funny about fried Oreos?
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Chicken-fried Oreos would be hilarious.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Way to rub it in, Earl:

My streak has ended at 153 on a week 2. I submitted SOREST TREE with the explanatory "I hope I'm not missing the (F)ORESTS for the TREE.
Well obviously I did. The funny thing is, I noticed SPECTRUM in the grid and coulda swore I tried anagramming SPECTRA and found nothing. Doh!
Even funnier, after first NOT appearing on the leaderboard, I mysteriously appeared a short time later. I thought I pulled a @Joe Ross (who has I think three times convinced constructors to accept alternate answers). But alas, I disappeared again about a day later. I'm hoping Matt will post the reasoning behind that with his Friday reveal. Of course I don't fault him at all for disqualifying it (Altho FORESTS can mean "lots of tree" I know it isn't truly the plural of TREE) but I'm just curious what swayed him and then swayed him back.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

KayW wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:21 pm Way to rub it in, Earl:

My streak has ended at 153 on a week 2. I submitted SOREST TREE with the explanatory "I hope I'm not missing the (F)ORESTS for the TREE.
Well obviously I did. The funny thing is, I noticed SPECTRUM in the grid and coulda swore I tried anagramming SPECTRA and found nothing. Doh!
Even funnier, after first NOT appearing on the leaderboard, I mysteriously appeared a short time later. I thought I pulled a @Joe Ross (who has I think three times convinced constructors to accept alternate answers). But alas, I disappeared again about a day later. I'm hoping Matt will post the reasoning behind that with his Friday reveal. Of course I don't fault him at all for disqualifying it (Altho FORESTS can mean "lots of tree" I know it isn't truly the plural of TREE) but I'm just curious what swayed him and then swayed him back.
Thanks for posting. I was wondering what you’d done.

It might just be the Matt fat-fingered it and fixed it when the one he meant to mark correct asked.

Sorry about your streak.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
KayW

Post by KayW »

Ah, that explains it.