"There's That Voice Again" March 10, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

B8DF11BD-306B-4D6D-A36A-7007DC915991.jpeg
Happy Pi Day, everyone!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

ship4u wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:52 am
Collegetowngirl wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:14 am ....everyone has their own honor system rules on this.
I think the important thing is to have fun with the metas.

I enjoy the comraderie of the wonderful people in this group. So many of the interactions I have had with the members here have been a highlight of my week. Without the social interaction here, I probably wouldn't bother with the metas.

As far as googling to help with the mechanism, I've learned a lot in the process. For example, I had never heard of the movie "Marty." After looking it up, my wife and I decided to get the DVD out of the library. It was fantastic!

There is nothing in the WSJ Contest Rules prohibiting solving with spouses, family or friends. Do what is fun for you!
Totally agree with Don. I've thought of not bothering with the metas as I'm only so-so at them but the lure of the interaction with this group is too fun--and inspiring! Glad you liked Marty, Don. Borgnine was terrific in it, yes?
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

Inca wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:46 am I'm curious to know how many solved this on their own; is there any stat like that? For me puzzles like this one are impossible to solve and that makes me less inclined every week to even make an attempt. This is not in any way a judgement of the puzzle at all; it is a judgement of myself and my lack of meta-bility.
Hard to know how many people solved a given puzzle completely on their own. Some people get hints/nudges, some solve with a partner or friends, and some people hop on the Zoom room.

Here are the stats I do have:

So there is definitely a wide range in difficulty. 2/17 3,096 people solved it! But, only 298 people solved it on 1/13.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Inca wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:46 am I'm curious to know how many solved this on their own; is there any stat like that? For me puzzles like this one are impossible to solve and that makes me less inclined every week to even make an attempt. This is not in any way a judgement of the puzzle at all; it is a judgement of myself and my lack of meta-bility.
For the WSJ, either I solve on my own or I don't solve. For the Muggle-created puzzles MMM, MOAT, MEOW, etc., I'll take whatever nudges are available if necessary. I'm pretty sure my WSJ solve rate is less than 50%.