"Film Editing" March 3, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

hunkra wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:39 am
Jace54 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:18 am From reading the comments, it appears that many have never seen Marty. I highly recommend it, great movie!
I agree! It's a wonderful film, in that romantic films of that time usually centered around attractive, socialite types falling for each other. One of the rare times a film featured a two "plain" people falling in love. Interesting tidbit, the actress Betsy Blair almost couldn't do the role because she had been blacklisted as a Marxist by the McCarthy goons. But since she was married to Gene Kelly, some strings were pulled and she got the part!
I'm not sure it fits with today's sensibilities or current film fashions. It's a nice film. Nobody is plotting to do bad stuff to anyone else. No murders, no fights, no spies, no blood, no women in peril, no cheating. Nobody blows up a helicopter. It's about ordinary people who, as hunkra says, look like plain people and not like movie stars playing ordinary people. Working-class Italians in the Bronx. The film is great for the way it evokes that world and its ordinary problems. Paddy Chayefsky deserved that writing Oscar.

And it's only 90 minutes long. It might come around on TCM this month. And you can always get it on Amazon Prime.
Jay
erk070

Post by erk070 »

I also got stuck on the "actor" of "movie" clues. I tried to find an answer based on the editor(s) of each of those films, the number of Oscar nominations, etc. The deepest rabbit hole was looking at the number of editors for each film and taking the Nth letter from the corresponding grid answer. That gave LOLEURRB which is an anagram of BURL ROLE. Burl Ives played the role of Rufus Hannassey in The Big Country (1958) for which he won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. Obviously that was a bit of a stretch so I didn't submit an answer. :(
vandono

Post by vandono »

I did not even come close. I didn't have as much time as usual to spend on it (wife had Covid all week and work is nuts, so busy all over), but what time I had I didn't even find any interesting rabbit holes. Nothing I looked at worked for more than a couple grid entries.

I don't think this one was in the cards for me even if I'd had all weekend free. I'm not sure I've even heard of some of those movies.

Congratulations to the solvers! And thanks to those who show their work. I get ideas even from the wrong turns, just like in real life.
woozy

Post by woozy »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:10 pm .. Plus when there are true theme answers that are NOT obvious (which I categorize these) I find it hard to vest enough time to crack the code. I guess in retrospect, there were four (+ 1) VERY long answers. But for me they didn't scream "We are themers". ...
They screamed themers to me. They were odd phrases and strategically placed. They weren't clear what to do, and I got distracted by the double letters, and I didn't think they'd require something so specific as knowing best picture but... I figured as the actual movie clues were inconsistent...

Okay, confession, when I broke down and google the best picture titles, it was to restrict the movie clues to only those that were best pictures. But seeing CODa I had the idea confirmed with cRASH and oLIVER. I figured it was ACTOR and Marty but had to go up and down the list twice to confirm the R couldn't be anything but CrASH.

Rabbit Holes I knew not to pursue.... Walk the line, is a movie about Johnny CASH.

GOO and LIV are in GOOse LIVer, so that means diAPErrash refers to Marlene Dietrich in a gorilla outfit in Blonde Venus. (Great movie. Admittedly all I remember is Marlene Dietrich in a gorilla outfit [which was mimicced in BATMAN FOREVER] but when you have Marlene Dietrich in a gorilla outfit you don't need to remember anything else.)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Gman

Post by Gman »

I agree with Wendy Walker that the 8 clues with the exact same format were beyond a red herring. I felt like one of those characters in an old movie that follows the recently switched road sign to a cliff jumping doom. This one was just plain diabolical
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Ran into (or over!) this actor in Palm Springs this morning.

And now for the rabbit holes that I ran into...
20230306_113622.jpg
Noticed the gazillion film references, but figured that there too many to work with. Based on TALENT & SEX in the bottom and BIGMARY in the middle, I thought it was narrowing down to actresses. Which was reinforced with EDIE/ERIE. Of course, I didn't find any others. Found the Oscar winning films mentioned, but nothing there.

Got a hint to focus on 5 themes and OSCAR. Noticed OLIVER but then made the mistake of mixing my metanisms.

CODA =COD +A. Giving A.
R in DIAPER replaced with C for CRASH = R.
T to MARY for MARTY = T.
Replace E in GOOSE to create OLIVER = E.
Replace D in DIGITAL to create GIGI = D.
Giving the nonsense word ARTED, which is edited to RATED. Ta da! Oh well, on to next week.
burak

Post by burak »

Here's my qualm: The fifth entry could have easily been SOMETIME AGO. Half the letters already work as is, and I'm pretty sure that there's a grid out there that satisfies this. I mean, I got the answer pretty quickly so I really shouldn't complain, but I don't think the mechanism merited the breaking of one of the most fundamental norms.
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

TMart wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:17 am Meta rules are that there are no rules. But this was surprisingly inelegant. I saw it, submitted it, and didn't really notice the inelegance until afterward.
Much like Calvinball!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Got fixated on the Oscars (thought it was last weekend 🙄) and specifically, the Oscar for Film Editing. Found the film editors for all the films in the clues (15) and looked for something from the names… nada. Then whittled it down to only those films nominated / winners for Oscar’s in Film Editing (7) … nada. Then just those that won Oscars for Film Editing (4: Cold Mountain, Boys From Brazil, The Right Stuff and Argo) and taking the letters of the grid answers corresponding to the numbers of those clues got NABU… apparently the “patron god of scribes, literacy, and wisdom” (re Google) and also “member of the Lords of Order” from some DC comic movie! Neither of those answers described the state of my brain at that point and despite the many “Naboo” references I’ve seen on this forum, I resisted the temptation to submit. Gave up and said to my dear wife “C’mon, let’s watch the Oscars” to which she replied “They’re next week, silly!” Arrgghhh!
One world. One planet. One future.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

aaugusti wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:27 pm
TMart wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:17 am Meta rules are that there are no rules. But this was surprisingly inelegant. I saw it, submitted it, and didn't really notice the inelegance until afterward.
Much like Calvinball!
Too funny. Too true!
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Colin wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:26 pm Got fixated on the Oscars (thought it was last weekend 🙄) and specifically, the Oscar for Film Editing. Found the film editors for all the films in the clues (15) and looked for something from the names… nada. Then whittled it down to only those films nominated / winners for Oscar’s in Film Editing (7) … nada. Then just those that won Oscars for Film Editing (4: Cold Mountain, Boys From Brazil, The Right Stuff and Argo) and taking the letters of the grid answers corresponding to the numbers of those clues got NABU… apparently the “patron god of scribes, literacy, and wisdom” (re Google) and also “member of the Lords of Order” from some DC comic movie! Neither of those answers described the state of my brain at that point and despite the many “Naboo” references I’ve seen on this forum, I resisted the temptation to submit. Gave up and said to my dear wife “C’mon, let’s watch the Oscars” to which she replied “They’re next week, silly!” Arrgghhh!
That might too obscure even for a diabolical meta creator. Google would have exploded from the searches!
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

50%nominee.jpg
Was it that look of resignation on the XWord Rabbit’s face?
Was it because everyone decided to take pity on an innocent woodland creature?
Or was it the Metagods seeking revenge for a few breezy puzzles of late?

Whatever it was, your Rabbit had his paws full this week.

Mr. Shenk’s “Film Editing” puzzle drew as much attention for its methodology as for its rabbit hole potential. The last word of the five anchor acrosses became the title of an Oscar-winning film with the addition of a single letter, and those letters, in order, yielded the meta: ACTOR.

Competition was fierce for nominees this week, and the XWord Rabbit has two choice examples from stalwarts of this website.

There’s Wendy Walker (#238) who was convinced that identically-formatted clues was the first step. After some torturous editing, crossing out common letters, she abandoned that line of thinking and turned to character names, only succeeding in getting nowhere faster.

And then there’s Ship4u (#253) who thought that SEX (the final across entry) was an indicator of seven R rated movies suggested by the clues, eventually arriving at the start letters LAMAURB from the corresponding entries. After a bit of shoehorn editing, “L’AMOUR” was left, justifying ROMANCE as the movie-related meta.

Was there more? Probably, and the XWord Rabbit apologizes for not citing others in the crowd.
It has been a cruel week, no doubt about that. Your Rabbit thinks he’ll make himself a Bunny Mary cocktail and retreat to his burrow.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is ACTOR. The last word of each of five Across answers can become the name of an Oscar-winning movie if you add one letter (CODA, CRASH, MARTY, OLIVER!, CRASH). The added letters, in order, spell the contest answer.

This was a clever but tough one! So many red herrings with all those movie references in the clues. We had 660 entries, low for us, with about 63% correct (also low). Incorrect guesses included OSCAR (14), DOUBLE FEATURE (12), SPLICE (9), CROP (8), CUT (4), among several others.

Happy Oscars week to all! And congrats to this week's winners, Robert and Claudia Kottwitz of Chicago!
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Well I don’t agree with the inelegant part because throwing a bit of a twist like that at the end is just what award winning movies like to do! And frankly the “elegant” ones are getting a bit easy to solve after several years of doing these puzzles. I think a form of editing, like cutting and splicing, was hinted at in the title. It was just me thinking that there were “rules” that metas have to follow that made this one so difficult to complete, for me anyway. The only part of this puzzle I didn’t like was the fact that I HAD to use google to get the list of Oscar winners. Overall I think this is another genius puzzle by Shenk where we needed something just a little bit different!!!!!
BethA

Post by BethA »

At first I was thinking that there was some sort of gentlemen’s agreement in place, that if a word in the puzzle title is used in a clue, it really means something and may provide a hint!!! I saw 70A REDS, and thought that there may be different shades of red or red things hidden in the theme answers. Didn’t get too far, and then noticed that 27D also included the word FILM in its clue! What really would have given me a great pointer is if it had been included in the 54D clue (and not included in the others). Sometime Friday morning that 54D clue finally caught my eye, and started thinking LIVER -> OLIVER, and COD -> CODA, and reviewed the Best Pictures list.

Getting ACTOR as the answer seemed a little blah, and not solidly clicking. But I think after awhile, the puzzle started to grow on me. I took the presence of all those actors and their roles in the grid as a confirmation. Also took the 69A clue and TALENT as confirmation. And decided that 54D really was the intended tip-off clue, I had just not noticed on Thursday.

Enjoyed the puzzle! I don’t think I’ve ever seen MARTY or CRASH. OLIVER has been very well-known to me for years. And I really enjoyed CODA more recently. [Just a caution for all the MUGgles who really disliked Joni Mitchell’s Both Sides Now, you may not enjoy CODA as much as
I did.]
clonefitz

Post by clonefitz »

My gut reaction to the reveal for this puzzle (and my unsuccessful attempt to solve) was to point out the inelegances that have been previously mentioned. But the more I've thought about this, the more I've come to accept that this may have just been a clever puzzle that I just couldn't figure out. As I was trying to solve, I reached two conclusions, both of which proved to be true and should have been sufficient to solve: 1. That all of the clues about movies were noise, I just needed to focus on the grid and 2. That the clue about the movies winning the Best Picture Oscar was key to finding the metanism. I'm still a bit on the fence about how I feel about this one, but my opinion has become less harsh over the last few days. Regardless, I've put "adding a letter" on my list of mechanisms to check when I'm stumped in the future.