MEOW #118: Fruit Loops

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Nudges!

There is a pretty obvious theme entry

Remember that "Drawbacks" Shenk meta from a while back?

No you are not expected to find fruit in loop shapes across the grid do you really think I am that predictable?
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

welp -that didn’t help. Knew #1, had already assumed #3, and looked up #2 but not sure how that applies. I have some observations to share with someone if you want to co-solve, or will take nudges if anyone’s got a minute.

UPDATE: got it now…that took some pointing from some helpers! I might still be missing something (like, how nudge #2 applies) - but I see the answer(s) clearly enough!

Irritated cat emerging from bag. Stand clear.
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Agree with the "other" Wendy. It took WAY too much pushing and prodding for me to say I solved it, but at least I see it now, whew. I do see the tie-in to Nudge 2 but only after the fact. So kitty is out but...
Wet Cat.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

The cat is out, but only after the nudges.

I did not need Spoiler 1.

I had to research Spoiler 2 and that took me back to something I was pondering earlier but could not figure out how to apply. Once I knew that was the way, I worked on it until I found a way to use it. This nudge may have been more difficult to apply for others than it was for me, depending on life experiences.

I was one of the people stuck on the Spoiler 3 mechanism.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
markhr

Post by markhr »

I got it, finally. The spoilers helped.
Clever meta, as usual.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Not sure I've gotten the finer points of the mechanics, but with the nudges I've believe I've gotten close enough to the answer --
Untitledcanihas.png
Thanks, Josh! Appreciate the fruits of your puzzle-making labor!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Finally got the cat out with help of the nudges! Totally trying to do nudge 3 from the start! Lol! Nudge 2 helped me look in different way resulting in a “fruitful” search!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Cat is finally out of the bag, and looking a bit pissy about being in there so long. Would never have seen this but for a rather firm shove from @HeadinHome
Matthew
Abide

Post by Abide »

A little nudger helped me, as I was visualizing dyslexically. Great puzzle Josh!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
hoover

Post by hoover »

Nudges aren't helping.
I think I know which one is #1.
I wasn't here then, but I looked at the reference for #2 and don't see how it applies.
Too late for #3; I already looked there.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Needed a remedial nudge but finally got it. Thanks Josh!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hoover

Post by hoover »

I got a helpful nudge from Abide and I think the cat is out of the bag now.
rjy

Post by rjy »

I fear I nearly suffocated the cat, but he's out now, gasping for air. Clever, intricate construction, Josh!
Ray
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

The answer was APPLES, BANANAS, and PEARS which are spelled diagonally in the "O-RANGE", i.e. the letters between pairs of the letter O.

I realized I never posted the web app AND NOBODY NOTICED
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

madhatter5 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:59 am The answer was APPLES, BANANAS, and PEARS which are spelled diagonally in the "O-RANGE", i.e. the letters between pairs of the letter O.

What do you mean nobody noticed? I've been waiting on the edge of my seat for days!
hoover

Post by hoover »

Dplass wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:00 am
madhatter5 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:59 am The answer was APPLES, BANANAS, and PEARS which are spelled diagonally in the "O-RANGE", i.e. the letters between pairs of the letter O.

What do you mean nobody noticed? I've been waiting on the edge of my seat for days!
I noticed too, and was briefly annoyed, but since there was a .PUZ file, which is my preferred format, I didn't grouse.

I solve the grid in .PUZ format if one is available, then submit via web app if one is available. If no web app, then your inbox gets flooded with PMs.