MGWCC #768 — “Second Look”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:09 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:30 pm "I am not sure why non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs affect blood pressure and renal function; I know it involves prostaglandin inhibition but I'm not clear why that affects an individual as it does?".
Funny, but as a retired banker, that specific question never actually crossed my mind. Now I'll be pondering it for the rest of the day. Probably will give me a headache. Wondering if I can take something for the resulting cranial discomfort...
If it is acetaminophen, no problem. If it is aspirin, Aleve or Motrin, and you are over 65 years old, it MAY affect your blood pressure and/or renal function. Oh, and I can tell you why if you care to know. Now banking, there is the real mystery for me. Balance sheets, mortgages, etc., etc - real voodoo.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HoldThatThought wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:45 pm :P
HunterX wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:09 pm
Funny, but as a retired banker, that specific question never actually crossed my mind. Now I'll be pondering it for the rest of the day. Probably will give me a headache. Wondering if I can take something for the resulting cranial discomfort...
Hunter: Think of this as you and I discussing 404 SOX compliance.

It's exactly like that, but not at all.

Pharmacologists discuss NSAID impact on renal functions over a beer, at parties, which is why we don't go to pharmacologist parties.
I dunno, maybe the SOX? I will warn you we have a strong SOX compliance (no SOX no service), though why you spell them that way I don't know.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

ky-mike wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:41 pm
HunterX wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:02 pm
HoldThatThought wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:45 pm :P

Hunter: Think of this as you and I discussing 404 SOX compliance.

It's exactly like that, but not at all.

Pharmacologists discuss NSAID impact on renal functions over a beer, at parties, which is why we don't go to pharmacologist parties.
Ah... Sarbanes-Oxley. Now there's a real party starter! And whenever I turned that topic around to how my spreadsheets aided centralized data collection to prove compliance, well, I was the life of the party.

Okay, more accurately, I was the only one awake at the party.

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 5.58.54 PM.png

Who doesn't like a hearty discussion about internal controls?
and we are back to pharmacology. Here is where I explain the mechanism of Miralax or Dulcolax; both good internal controls.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HoldThatThought wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:52 am
ky-mike wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:41 pm
Who doesn't like a hearty discussion about internal controls?
PkWLf8nQ4l8ytPiXDC3+HxoUju3J6yMAAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png

Rare, unpublished photo of investment bankers and urologists attending the 2023 Best Practices in Internal Controls conference at Harvard
I thought that Urologists and bankers did not interact because if you pee on a banker it can run into money.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:20 pm Matt sometimes likes to play around with crossword conventions. I seem to recall a puzzle of his that did something similar with "say" in the clues. It meant what it usually does ("for example"), but it also had a meta-related meaning.

There was a halloween one with "boo".

I'd complain that the method to get the first five letters and their order is completely different than how to get the second five letters and their order... except.... there are no rules in meta.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.