"The Woman in White" February 17, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Spent my time on Patrick Berry’s Trail Mix.

Distance solving partner and I have a “plausible” answer for this meta, but it’s a reach, not a find, and we have never found that to be correct,

Will be interested in the reveal and any regrets.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

I’ve got a second answer finally that’s a lock. Glad I didn’t submit my first answer.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

debbierudy wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:33 pm Ashore! This was a fun one. Close to 100% on the correctness of my answer because the last three steps revealed what I had already guessed -
“…the last 3 steps” ??? That’s at least 2 more than what I had! Maybe I should be worried about my answer??!! 😳
Looking forward to the reveal…..
ricky

Post by ricky »

ship4u wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:38 am Spent yesterday at the Mount Hope Auction in the Amish county of Millersburg, Ohio. It was chaotic to say the least. I had to listen carefully just to hear what the auctioneer was saying! Attached is a video to share the experience. It was worth the effort since I succeeded in coming home with an antique Trenton Anvil, made in Columbus, Ohio, about 100 years ago! I can't wait to use it.

Attachments area

IMG_0083.jpg
Are you trying to catch a roadrunner? Because those things look like just the thing for the job but prove weirdly ineffective in the field. Don't ask me how I know.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
ricky

Post by ricky »

Ergcat wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:15 pm
debbierudy wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:33 pm Ashore! This was a fun one. Close to 100% on the correctness of my answer because the last three steps revealed what I had already guessed -
“…the last 3 steps” ??? That’s at least 2 more than what I had! Maybe I should be worried about my answer??!! 😳
Uh, same... I thought there was just one step here. Maybe 1.5.

I wasn't crazy about the subject matter of this puzzle, and if the answer is who I thought it was, I have an additional complaint, but I can't say anything about it yet.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
woozy

Post by woozy »

ricky wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:45 pm
Uh, same... I thought there was just one step here. Maybe 1.5.

I wasn't crazy about the subject matter of this puzzle, and if the answer is who I thought it was, I have an additional complaint, but I can't say anything about it yet.
I think there are exactly 6 steps:

1) doing the grid.
2) figuring out what's going on in the grid
3) figuring out what to do with the gird
4) doing it
5) seeing what the answer is
6) Saying "I know what the answer is"
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

I’m on shore but feeling shaky. Maybe I missed the final step. Maybe it’s because my rabbit holes were so much more interesting!

And just because it came out kinda pretty, here’s the view from a hike with the hubby this morning 7am. Not pictured: two coyotes we saw on the drive while we were exiting the park.
7DDC250A-88FB-4B99-9B91-ABC6C9E86BE9.jpeg
Jackie J

Post by Jackie J »

I’m on shore. Tip of the hat to Joe Ross for confirming my answer. And kudos to MS. Fairly straightforward meta solve but an elegant construction nonetheless.
dot

Post by dot »

Phew, on shore at last. We feel pretty confident, though J wonders whether there is some confirmation in the grid we aren't seeing. Anyway, whoo! H will have hot chocolate, and J will have a lychee Calpico (Calpis). Because those are definitely things a beach cabana bar would have...
H & J
Oxford Comma Mama

Post by Oxford Comma Mama »

Reading back over people's posts I am glad to know I'm not the only one who had more trouble than usual with the grid. Definitely resorted to Google for help with both the grid and the meta this time. I try not to Google because if I Google too soon, then I rob myself of the pleasure of the "Aha!" that comes when I finally figure something out on my own. On the other hand, if I know I'm never coming up with an obscure (to me) person's name or a fact that I just don't know, better to Google it and maybe learn something new than to miss out on the fun of solving.

Also count me among those who didn't feel like the 37a clue was quite right. Like a joke that is almost there but needs a tweak to the punchline. I could see the connection but even the first time I considered that answer I thought it must be something else. However I thought of it a different way today and now I think maybe I understand, just a usage I have not encountered. Nor have I ever encountered the 16a phrase. I look forward to discussion of those entries after the solution comes out. I love that I learn something new from pretty much every puzzle I do, and I'll be the first to admit the constructors are far cleverer than I am and much better at coming up with interesting clues!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I have an answer that I'm not confident about, so I'll keep looking.

Isaac's and my duet are next at karaoke night so don't forget to drop in for some luscious harmonies.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
M and M

Post by M and M »

We are cheerfully ashore and amused at the tricky nature of this one (and the nice clue which got us going in the right direction. Or if not exactly a "clue", at least a bit "clu-ish.")
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

For all of you who have doubts - the answer is 100% the only answer you can come up with. Follow the hint he's given you. Understanding how to apply it is the first step. Once you have that it should all fall into place quickly.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Let me rephrase: "The last 3 pieces" :)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

ship4u wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:38 am Spent yesterday at the Mount Hope Auction in the Amish county of Millersburg, Ohio. It was chaotic to say the least. I had to listen carefully just to hear what the auctioneer was saying! Attached is a video to share the experience. It was worth the effort since I succeeded in coming home with an antique Trenton Anvil, made in Columbus, Ohio, about 100 years ago! I can't wait to use it.

Attachments area

IMG_0083.jpg
Imagine being one of @ship4u Don and Cynthia's kids. Some time ago, they were looking to move to PA. So when you get the phone call to help Mom and Dad pack for the move, you better have booked a 12 month around the world trip already. No one has just one anvil especially when they go to auctions to buy them.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

On shore! It’s been awhile since I’ve had a chance to solve so I owe you all an update on our travels. My husband, our dog and I finally made it to the “end of the world” after one year driving from the Georgia, USA to Ushuaia, Argentina!! We are in Buenos Aires now enjoying a month of down time before we head back to the states and back to reality…
Attachments
7EFFD4E5-08AA-4C3D-B891-CFBE4AB5C64C.jpeg
cheryl w

Post by cheryl w »

On shore, finally!
rliebert

Post by rliebert »

Ashore! Traveling this week, so very late start, but just made it.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Came across a few Muggles on my walk this morning. She must have been exhausted after a rough swim to shore.
20230219_074608.jpg
And I think these folks really enjoyed the Tiki Bar.
20230219_074644.jpg
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

OliviaL wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:27 am On shore! It’s been awhile since I’ve had a chance to solve so I owe you all an update on our travels. My husband, our dog and I finally made it to the “end of the world” after one year driving from the Georgia, USA to Ushuaia, Argentina!! We are in Buenos Aires now enjoying a month of down time before we head back to the states and back to reality…
@OliviaL - two things - make sure that you have a steak down by the waterfront in Buenos Aires. Best steak I have ever had and it puts Texas to shame. Also did you play golf at the most southernly golf course in the world outside Ushuaia?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director