47. Souper Bowl Suite!

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Got 'em both. Nice suite of bowl day metas
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Got confused by a link I had just received for Will’s puzzle (Pandora’s) - also a super bowl food themer.
https://crosshare.org/crosswords/YOPqcQ ... ty-platter
The other Wendy. :roll:
Abide

Post by Abide »

As the Super Bowl ends with a controversial officiating call, we have 43 correct submissions for #47B.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

1. Puzzle #47a recap

Puzzle #47a answer: CHOWDER

Correct entries: 53

Winners: @Darth and @TMart - congrats!!

This is about as SAD as it gets: the word SOUP forms a "BOWL" seven times in the grid. The letters that it conceals each time spell CHOWDER, the answer to the meta (and Maya Rudolph was hawking clam M&Ms during the Super Bowl, so it all comes together, I guess).

Examining vowel distributions may often help when solving a meta, and this was intended to be the case here! A lot of "O"s and "U"s were scattered throughout, and based on nearby letters, the word "SOUP" was meant to jump out a few times.

My favorite soup, LOBSTER BISQUE, did not have enough letters to be used, haha. Make sure to check out the second half the meta suite if you haven't already!

Mini-meta drops tomorrow. Until next time, happy slurping - and solving!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh Boy, Super Bowl Double Header...wait I think I am mixing sports metaphors? Never mind I enjoyed both of the puzzles and all but the last few minutes of the game. All in all a well played game, shame it will have that asterisk. I lived in Philly for over 5 years so I have a soft spot for the Eagles, but boy you cannot deny the talent of Mahomes. He throws passes that look like they ought to be grounders and they are ropes!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
TMart

Post by TMart »

MikeyG wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:30 pm 1. Puzzle #47a recap

Puzzle #47a answer: CHOWDER

Correct entries: 53

Winners: @Darth and @TMart - congrats!!

This is about as SAD as it gets: the word SOUP forms a "BOWL" seven times in the grid. The letters that it conceals each time spell CHOWDER, the answer to the meta (and Maya Rudolph was hawking clam M&Ms during the Super Bowl, so it all comes together, I guess).

Examining vowel distributions may often help when solving a meta, and this was intended to be the case here! A lot of "O"s and "U"s were scattered throughout, and based on nearby letters, the word "SOUP" was meant to jump out a few times.

My favorite soup, LOBSTER BISQUE, did not have enough letters to be used, haha. Make sure to check out the second half the meta suite if you haven't already!

Mini-meta drops tomorrow. Until next time, happy slurping - and solving!

Mikey G
Wow -thanks, MikeyG! It's been a rough day here in Philly.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Thanks, @MikeyG! I didn't realize there was a prize -- I enjoy your puzzles and find satisfaction in the solve alone. But excited to win, and I'm sure I could find something along the lines of "Chicken Soup for the Soul" or a Soupmaker Cookbook.... or maybe a soup mug! Thanks again! :D
Abide

Post by Abide »

Current correct submissions - 52.

Here's a nudge for a few folks still in the soup line:

Look at the three vertical long entries and look for letters they have in common. This should help you crack the meta.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Somewhere along the way, Rhianna and I finally got the half time one too --
Abide

Post by Abide »

47B - Souper Bowl Halftime Show - Reveal

62 solvers avoided egg on their face. Thanks to MikeyG for hosting!

credit:BrennerTJ
—Brian MacDonald
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Great reveal Tamara!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!