"The Woman in White" February 17, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Ashore as of last night. (Wine was already poured when the zoom with the kids started, so I forgot to post when done.)

I saw step 1, and the key element thereof, very quickly, while my kids saw it but didn't make the connection to the key element. I assumed it was because of their age.

While the metanism is fairly straight-forward, there is one element to it that I am curious about. Nothing to change the answer, mind you. Just something that made me think, "Hmm....." May voice it after the reveal.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Spent yesterday at the Mount Hope Auction in the Amish county of Millersburg, Ohio. It was chaotic to say the least. I had to listen carefully just to hear what the auctioneer was saying! Attached is a video to share the experience. It was worth the effort since I succeeded in coming home with an antique Trenton Anvil, made in Columbus, Ohio, about 100 years ago! I can't wait to use it.

Attachments area
IMG_0083.jpg
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Kwyjibo wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:53 am TIme to turn on an old Gilbert Gottfried podcast to get back to sleep.
What a curious sentence. It would be like someone saying, "I hope they start jackhammering the street outside my bedroom window so I can go to sleep." Sure, I would enjoy having a repaired water/sewer system and a newly paved road. And it might make me relax and stop worrying about potential pipe problems. But as a sleep aid???

Guess that's what makes life so great. To each their own!
boharr

Post by boharr »

ship4u wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:38 am Spent yesterday at the Mount Hope Auction in the Amish county of Millersburg, Ohio. It was chaotic to say the least. I had to listen carefully just to hear what the auctioneer was saying! Attached is a video to share the experience. It was worth the effort since I succeeded in coming home with an antique Trenton Anvil, made in Columbus, Ohio, about 100 years ago! I can't wait to use it.

Attachments area

IMG_0083.jpg
That Trenton Anvil looks to me just like what I often need to be hit with to solve.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

ship4u wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:38 am Spent yesterday at the Mount Hope Auction in the Amish county of Millersburg, Ohio. It was chaotic to say the least. I had to listen carefully just to hear what the auctioneer was saying! Attached is a video to share the experience. It was worth the effort since I succeeded in coming home with an antique Trenton Anvil, made in Columbus, Ohio, about 100 years ago! I can't wait to use it.
Which one of you lost the bet and got to carry that sucker to and from the car?

Curious why the famed Trenton Anvil was made in Ohio but given the name of the NJ capitol. Reminds me of the sign on the train bridge across the Delaware: Trenton Makes The World Takes. (Or the irreverent version we used to say.)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

mheberlingx100 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:18 pm On the beach! Having a Tom Hanks cocktail as celebration.
You mean a "Diet Cokagne"?

Not sure I'm ready for that.

Not sure the world is ready for that! ;)
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

So concerned about the Rabbit that I forgot to mention I was onshore.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Solidly confident in my step one. Have a step two but not confident in my answer. I’ll ponder a little more.
Last edited by CopperRiver on Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

HunterX wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:51 am

Curious why the famed Trenton Anvil was made in Ohio but given the name of the NJ capitol. Reminds me of the sign on the train bridge across the Delaware: Trenton Makes The World Takes. (Or the irreverent version we used to say.)
That was a good one! You don't think I would put Cynthia through that torture, do you?! The noise wears you down after about an hour and I was there all day watching the Amish bid hundreds of dollars on collectable iron pots and pans!

Luckily, the boy scout in me thought in advance to bring my 2 wheeled cart with me. Friendly Amish fellows helped with the lifting.

Good point! Many people assume that Trenton anvils were made in NJ.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Been ages since I have been here. And ages since I got any of these. But finally on shore. It seemed pretty easy to me and judging by the number on shore, I guess it was!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

ashore
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

With the crowd on shore.
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

On shore! Had to take a day to convince myself it was the right answer!
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore! This was a fun one. Close to 100% on the correctness of my answer because the last three steps revealed what I had already guessed - which is quite gratifying.

It's a beautiful sunny late winter day here in Ohio, and the maple sap is flowing and being turned into syrup. I led a maple sugar tour this morning at a local wooded farm and we sampled some at the end - so good!
Janet

Post by Janet »

I have joined the shore crowd.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

After two rough weeks, I am grateful for the quick swim to shore!
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

On shore! Quick and satisfying solve!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:17 pm
Hidden in 3D wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:43 am Very pleased to announce that I am ASHORE! I, of course, could not start the puzzle until this morning. (When will my friends and family realize that Thursday afternoon is when the WSJCC drops?!!! Or that this is something of great interest to me?) Anyway, the reason for my happiness at solving relatively early (for me) is that I was somewhat worried that I might experience Covid-19 brain fog. Yes, dear readers, the dreaded disease finally found its way to my husband and me. Our Covid-19 symptoms started appearing last weekend but the first at-home tests we did were inconclusive. Long story short, we're much better today and I feel like making dinner for the first time in several days. Everyone assumes we were infected in one of the foreign countries we visited while on our cruise, but we are fairly sure it was the passenger seated in front of Mr. Hidden on our plane trip back from Miami. As my husband so colorfully describes it, "He was coughing up a lung!". And indeed, it seemed that way for much of the flight back to Charlotte. GRRRR!
And he of course was not going to inconvenience himself by having to put up with a mask! Indeed GRRRR. As soon as I get any symptoms that might be Covid/Flu/Cold related I mask up and Purell load. Now granted I may be a bit more sensitive to the devastation all of these diseases cause (especially to those of use who have passed the half century mark or more) but what ever happened to concern for your fellow man? Sigh, color me dinosaur.
+1. If only there were a way to prevent the spread of airborne pathogens...
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

At the bar. Goodness. I know I should be able to figure this one out based on the comments and the obvious clues. Obvious?
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

ship4u wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:50 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:51 am
That was a good one! You don't think I would put Cynthia through that torture, do you?! The noise wears you down after about an hour...
Glad Cynthia didn't have to suffer. Though once you start pounding on that anvil with a heavy hammer, she may.

The noise wears you down after about an hour? Heck, it wore me down after only 55 seconds!

And what kind of an Amish auction uses an electrified sound system and SKU barcodes? Methinks it might have been Mennonites in disguise....
Last edited by HunterX on Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.