"The State of American Cinema" February 10, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Streroto wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:05 pm Quoting Norman MacLean (end of book and not a spoiler of the book kind I hope)

“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters.”

I am a pre-RRTI fly fisherman, and have been haunted by waters my entire life. As I said in an earlier post, I keep a copy of this scene on my phone. It is beautiful, sad and uplifting all at once. If you have not read this book you should, fisherperson or not. It is an American classic.
Love that quote as well Stretoto. In Norman Maclean's book that line was in the middle of his story (as Paul's aka Brad Pitt's final destiny as well - not sharing too much in case someone wants to watch that movie), but I am ok in how Robert Redford changed in the movie. Eventually all of us are haunted by memories that run as deep as a river, although we should change it to: "I am haunted by the meta coffe mug".

I have watched this movie so many times that I know it by heart. The photography of the scenes is beautiful, Robert Redford narration makes the story poignant, and the quotes are memorable (my wife thinks otherwise, but that's a different story).
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
linsocalm

Post by linsocalm »

vandono wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:17 pm
linsocalm wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:21 pm Finally getting to this one. Quick solve while making bourbon meatballs. Guess the Buffalo Trace counts as my beach drink! Didn’t love the meta - not a fan of puzzles that require extensive searching.
Buffalo Trace in meatballs, you say... 🤔
Makes the sauce even more delicious!
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

rsz_rabbit_chiefs.jpg
Please forgive The XWord Rabbit but in his eagerness to share the results of last week’s puzzle he is posting a bit early. His triumphant return is only magnified by certain recent events of which he has been happily preoccupied.

Oh, yes, the puzzle. There was a puzzle, wasn’t there? Your Rabbit almost forgot. It was “The State of American Cinema” from Mr. Gaffney. Muggles were asked to find an Oscar-winning film of 1992. Seven across answers were motion picture titles, each of which mostly took place in a particular state. The first letters of those states spelled out MONTANA, requiring solvers to find the meta movie from its location: A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT.

Easy enough for those who were film fanatics, but plenty of Muggles had to run to the internet in a mad dash for an education in film history.

At this time your Rabbit wishes to acknowledge the somewhat distressing commercial that took place during that recent event of which he was happily preoccupied. To those few who haven’t seen it:

Please be assured, your Rabbit is not as menacing as those pictured and wants to emphasize that any holes you may enter on his behalf are of your own choosing. For the record, he does not carry Muggles off to parts unknown. If The XWord Rabbit is anything, he is sympathetic to your causes. His empathy knows no bounds, particularly when he reads a sad and detailed story like the one by Ladybird this week. A clear nominee, if there ever was one. (And a detailed photo, no less.) Your Rabbit feels your pain.

50%nominee.jpg
Until next week, then.

PS. Did you see that recent event that made your Rabbit so happy? Unbelievable!
dho

Post by dho »

OK, I will admit to having been caught on the date issue on this on. Sort of. And really, just sort of. Regarding films released in a certain year, or receiving the Oscar in a certain year, well the clue reads "an Oscar winning film of 1992..." Arguably, the "of" could modify either the date of the film or the date of the Oscar. Not a big argument though IF there is not a credible answer in the alternative, the 1992 Oscars. But, Silence of the Lambs contains a crucial link to Montana, right??? That is where the family farm where the slaughter of the lambs occurred that gave the Jodie Foster character nightmares. So, an ambiguity or a rabbit hole. Darn.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

This has nothing to do with the meta but I wanted to share some big happy Muggle news…. My DD, Rachel ( aka fellow Muggle Regfish7) got engaged last weekend. Not only has she started planning her wedding but also turning Fiancé onto Meta solving!
FA88FED1-D9AD-4AF0-8306-75B30AAB3945.jpeg
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

My rabbit hole had to do with my overconfidence in a few of the movie locations. My first thought for the meta was the correct one, to list the states where the named movies took place. I had worked at the Philmont scout ranch one season some years ago; Philmont is located outside Cimarron, NM. I've never seen the movie Cimarron, but that didn't matter since I've been to Cimarron. I smiled to myself and thought, well, that's one I don't need to look up. I wrote down New Mexico in my notes. Then, as several others have already noted, I wrote down Georgia for Forrest Gump. Why look it up when I've been to Savannah, have seen the famous park bench, etc.
So I saw MNNTANG which meant absolutely nothing. I started looking at all the two letter state abbreviations in the movie titles and elsewhere in the puzzle. That led only to frustration.
I saw that A River Runs Through It was one of the Oscar winners and I saw Rio Grande in the center of the grid but I felt there needed to be more confirmation or a true mechanism not just the name of a river sitting there. I convinced myself that that was the rabbit hole, not the true answer.
I couldn't get anything to lead to Montana or an abbreviation for Montana. I started seeing the many state abbreviations in the titles of the other Oscar winners that year, which let to more and more frustration.
If only I could prove ARRTI was correct! Why didn't I relent and look up all of the movie titles to be absolutely certain of their locations?!
Oh well. . .
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

@Georgeall do you really think PITT was intentional?
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

Who needs google? With ChatGPT just needed two questions
Attachments
Chat GPT question.png
Chat GPT question 2.png
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

@flyingburrito thanks for the correction. Been a long time seen reading the book and so many movie watches in the interim I guess I forgot where that was.

Haunted by meta mugs indeed
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

And another related note: Hannah Montana (Miley Ray Cyrus) was born in 1992.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Georgeall

Post by Georgeall »

Streroto wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:53 pm @Georgeall do you really think PITT was intentional?
Since PITT isn't mentioned in the WSJ solution, I'm confident that it wasn't intentional, but I just like looking for back-door solutions to the metas. I can usually find one, but they generally involve a lot of strained math and fractured logic. This is the first one that I've been able to write up with an intro like: "The solution is obvious to the casual observer," and then quickly demolish the official solution. I was working on other 1992 Oscar winners too: "The Departed" has an anagram of DEATH, and right above it is "EARTH," (with an anagram of HER) so DEATH BECOMES HER. If there were more black squares in a diagonal line, I'm sure I could have found MONA LISA (DESCENDING A STAIRCASE), as well. If I had, would I have been UNFORGIVEN?
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT. Each of the seven movies in the grid is largely set in a different state. In grid order they are Massachusetts, Oklahoma, Nevada, Texas, Arkansas, New York and Alabama. Those states’ first letters spell MONTANA, the setting of the contest answer.

Still waiting to confirm our winner, but here's a preliminary report: We thought this was a tricky one but we had a large and successful turnout: 1868 entries, about 80% correct (above our more typical 75%).

Lots of guesses (132) for SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (some entrants noted that Clarice is from Montana?). Plus BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (25), UNFORGIVEN (23), JFK (17), ALADDIN (17), MEDITERRANEO (because it contains a postal abbreviation, according to one entrant), and several others. Stay tuned for the winner...
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

LadyBird wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:41 am Many films feature a hero’s quest. Let me share my heroine’s saga (I know, bold of me to assert that I am a heroine)—a saga through the Slough of Despond until I FINALLY reach the shores of the Happy Isles. Joe—and others—offer up elegant color-coordinated explanations of the meta answer; I offer up my color-coded timeline of how NOT to elegantly find the solution!

Some heroines are initially reluctant to answer the call; however, I needed no cajoling from Gandalf. I jumped right in at 3pm on Thursday. Although, after viewing the title and clue, I did exclaim: “Cinema..why’d it have to be cinema!”. By 3:30 I had completed the grid and figured out the states associated with the themers. I even laid them out in a nice vertical row and noticed…nothing. But, of course, a quest requires roadblocks and tests and other ordeals. I ran into more than one R.O.U.S.—Rabbit of Unusual Size. The first induced me to write down all the 1992 Oscar winners—and research their locations.
collage.jpg

I spent the rest of Thursday and Friday trying to find state connections in the grid/clues. Right away I noticed Corpus CHRISTI (Texas!) and ONEONTA (New York!). But it was hard going finding other connections. I briefly toyed with EARTH=dust bowl=Oklahoma (but I was not yet that desperate). I looked for connections between the 1992 film states and the themers. A curioser and curioser fun fact—Thelma and Louise starts in Arkansas. Lots of tilting at windmills but so little progress that I felt like it was always winter but never Christmas. Things just got more discouraging as I kept reading shore reports—I felt that my meta-solving career was a perfect graveyard of buried hopes. But then a little hope arrived in an encouraging PM from Obi-Bob Kenobi.

On Saturday morning, I thought I would explore geography. I mapped out a route connecting all the themer states, hoping it would either surround or point to the answer. Well, my map route looked like a stiletto. I “guess” that might apply to Beauty and the Beast, but Belle never struck me as a stiletto type of gal. Then I noticed that there were a lot of 3-letter answers. That must be it: 2-letter state abbreviations with an extra letter. That will give me the answer. The letters I came up with partially anagrammed to octopods—which reminded me of the excellent (and Oscar-winning documentary) “My Octopus Teacher”—but that was several decades too late. I would be SO done with this if I only had a brain! Why can’t Hermione lean over and whisper a hint or two? I guess that I can depend on the kindness of strangers at the zoom call.

And then, on Saturday afternoon, I re-read the hint. Maybe it is films from 1992—that received their Oscar in 1993. Google, here I come—again. Hmmm….HOWARD’S (seven letters just like the seven themers) END (sounds like a metanism to me) but I saw nothing. Wait a minute—A River Runs Through It (and the Rio Grande runs right through the middle of the grid). The odds are finally in my favor! That MUST be it—but how? I’m gonna have to science the $#/! out of this. Maybe there are names of rivers hidden in the themers—after years of crosswords I know a lot of short and obscure river names, but I’m not seeing anything. Then I look at my vertical list of states and I see it! Is this heaven? No, it’s MONTANA! My quest is over. Now, I just need to return to my little house on the Prairie State and hope for my mug email from Mike. That, and share tales of rabbit hole adventures with we few, we happy few, we band of Muggles.
LB,

This odyssey tracks almost exactly the journey I took; except that I didn’t travel long enough to get to the Eureka moment. I had New Mexico instead of Oklahoma for Cimarron and even KNOWING that the states in which the movies were set must somehow spell the state in which the answer was set, I STILL in my tunnel vision could not see that the first letters were one off from Montana. Completely dense am I.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Beeth wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:16 am
Conrad wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:12 am
Beeth wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:09 am I'm dying to know the right answer. I submitted a hail Mary on the notion that we were looking at Oscar winners from the wrong year. Couldn't back my way in but picked one that had 7 letters that won in 1993 but was released in 1992. 🤷‍♀️
https://crosswordfiend.com/2023/02/12/w ... ore-146636
Thank you!

I'm pretty furious with our answer because we had forest gump in Georgia because that's where he's sitting telling the story. And we couldn't make sense of montang. It was one of the first things we did. Ugh!!
SAME! Except I had New Mexico for Cimarron instead of Oklahoma.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:31 pm
Lots of guesses (132) for SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (some entrants noted that Clarice is from Montana?).
Clarice was from West Virginia (and was a proud alumna of the University of Virginia).
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

As a Montana gal I would volunteer for the mug if the winner is not found…
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

Kind of reminds me of This Stays Between US (as in United States) a few weeks ago when I submitted intercity. Had a spring in my step on that one! So it was with a bit of doubt I turned in A River Runs Through It. Still no calls from The Journal.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

Ergcat wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:40 pm This has nothing to do with the meta but I wanted to share some big happy Muggle news…. My DD, Rachel ( aka fellow Muggle Regfish7) got engaged last weekend. Not only has she started planning her wedding but also turning Fiancé onto Meta solving!
Just make sure the festivities are done by 4pm ET on Thursday.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Maybe I missed the call or email or ??? How would I be contacted with the good news? I just know the mug is mine. ;) ;)
Cruciverbalisticexpi

Post by Cruciverbalisticexpi »

I listed out all the states in order too. But then thought, outside knowledge, like knowing where the heck Cimarron takes place is NEVER required. So I abandoned that idea quickly. Think this one kinda broke the rules a bit. But maybe I'm just bitter I didn't see MONTANA staring me in the face after I listed the states out vertically, lol.