Rowrbazzle! A specialized interest meta

Discuss meta crosswords from sources other than those listed above.
woozy

Rowrbazzle! A specialized interest meta

Post by woozy »

swamp.png

So this is a silly little fan meta I made in homage of subject I'm very fond of. Trouble is, it is only doable if you have fair knowledge of the subject. 50 years ago it would have been fair enough (for crosswords) in a retro nostalgic sort of way if you were over twenty at the the time. Now, I don't think its as well known as it ought to be.[1]

But that's what google is for. With google this is quite doable although it will take work.

If you know the subject it's a 1.25. If you don't. It's a 4.5.

Except.... I'm curious about mental blocks. I've had a few people attempt submissions and none have gotten it. It seems as though after figuring out what the subject of this puzzle is all seemed to forget that this is a meta and how to solve metas.

So crosshare link: ROWRBAZZLE

If you have absolutely no idea what the subject is: The Swamp referred to in the image is 28A. Now you have enough to start googling

========

[1](But it's not some so esoteric to be unknown.... I'd sar this is the equivalent of doing an homage to Ingmar Bergman and expecting people to know the plot lines of his major films... Only my subject is much funnier...)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Nice one, woozy! Lots of fun to solve, even without much prior knowledge. And googling for this was way more fun (for me, at least) than looking up dreaded baseball trivia for the zillionth time!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Very nice!
And do what you love, woozy!
(I'm gradually chipping away at your puzzles when I spot them.)
rjy

Post by rjy »

Well deck me with some Boston Charlie, I’m outta da swamp!

This was actually in my wheelhouse, but in the back recesses of my brain
Ray
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Cute. I had to google, but I knew what to google
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Great! I knew I could count on the forum muggles to figure out what I was getting at!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
woozy

Post by woozy »

rjy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:08 pm Well deck me with some Boston Charlie, I’m outta da swamp!
Be sure to save some of that Boston Charlie for Nora. She's freezing on the trolley.
KayW

Post by KayW »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:22 pm Cute. I had to google, but I knew what to google
Same here. Thanks Woozy!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.