"Misstate Capitals" - by Patrick Berry -Crossword #5

Published weekly by expert constructor Peter Gordon, the Fireball crossword is famous for being hard. How hard? Well, in the words of Peter Gordon, if you need to ask, too hard for you! It is not regularly a meta crossword, but does feature a contest or meta puzzle several times throughout the year. Available here for a subscription: http://www.fireballcrosswords.com
Abide

"Misstate Capitals" - by Patrick Berry -Crossword #5

Post by Abide »

Misstate Capitals by Patrick Berry

Attached is Crossword #5.

What thing that you might need while solving is hinted at by this puzzle?

Deadline to submit: Sunday, February 5. 6 pm EST
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
markhr

Post by markhr »

Took me a while to nail down the final step, but I finally got it.
An excellent puzzle from Patrick.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I have very little so far.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I 100% agree with @markhr, except for the "but I finally got it" part. Oh right, and the "nail down the final step" part.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:03 am I 100% agree with @markhr, except for the "but I finally got it" part. Oh right, and the "nail down the final step" part.
And yet I’m still struggling with the WSJ, which many are finding easy. Go figure.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

markhr wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:00 am
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:03 am I 100% agree with @markhr, except for the "but I finally got it" part. Oh right, and the "nail down the final step" part.
And yet I’m still struggling with the WSJ, which many are finding easy. Go figure.
I never understood people using the E-word. Wouldn't it be more satisfying to say "Man, that was difficult.. and I solved it in 15 minutes."
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Easy for you to say.

(sorry, I had to)
Meg

Post by Meg »

Too bad there’s no prize for rabbit holes on this one. What was Patrick thinking? Is his life getting more complicated? Did he want revenge on @Abide? Can’t wait to try his next meta! I finally got it, but it took a small town.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

I haven't, but the Fireball is one I allow myself a get out of frustration free card.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I would never have solved this without two generous hints. And when I say "generous," I mean both the size of the hints themselves AND the kindness of the hint-givers.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

smart.jpg
I figured the capital letters had to be important, because why Rihanna??? Tried taking them in clue order and it started off good - O-P-E-R- but then UCUSC; nope. Later even put them in theme entry order but wasn't thinking about finding a city I'd never heard of so CUSCOPERU didn't register. 🤦
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)