The Plot Thickens

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Forgot to come back to this one! I was close - I had the coordinate system laid out and included the black squares. Gibberish there. Again, forgot to come back and eliminate the black squares.
Kevin
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

This one was excellent. I had a lot of self inflicted wounds on this one, including:

- Assuming 0,0 was the lower left of the actual puzzle so I was actually 1,1
- not counting black squares
- getting the letters together in grid order and not clue order

But this was one of those great metas where the first step is good enough to keep you going. Really well done.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Ugh, I tried all four corners as the origin and tried 0-based and 1-based for all of them, but I didn't include 0,0, and I apparently was supposed to order them by the coordinates and not by the clues. Here's my scribbling:

Code: Select all

20A THREE SIX     MA  E T E I E A L
31A SEVEN ELEVEN  VO  I E A C S - -
37A SIX SEVEN     AV  E E T S T W
1D  TEN FOUR      SA  E C - H F G
11D ONE TWO       TA  E A I S F O
Now that I know the answer, I can kinda squint and see 5/6 of STEFFI mixed up in one of those columns.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

RATS, I just realized I never got back to this one because I was in the hospital with the missus. I'd like to think I would have gotten it because I knew what to do and where to do it from, but I may have stopped at STEFFI since I would have assumed STEFFI GRAF was who was intended even without the GRAF...but the wordplay is of course wonderful!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!