MGWCC #764 - “Eat, Drink, and Be Meta”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Nancygo

Post by Nancygo »

I completed my first MGWCC with the help of @DrTom (thank you so much!) I am #440 on the list. 🐈‍⬛
Black kitten 🐈‍⬛ owner, nerdy sewist, reader, and puzzle fanatic. :geek:
Abide

Post by Abide »

MikeM000 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:13 am In his defense, he used the Soviet-era spelling used in TV graphics and Sports Illustrated articles when he was active.
Fair point, I just relied on his Twitter page, Wikipedia, and Brittanica.com. It looks like his son who played professional tennis uses Sergei.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Busy weekend & morning had me ignoring & forgetting about this until a little while ago.

BEAM me, please.

Apologies, too, for being too lazy to create a spreadsheet, but the horde of quick solvers made it seem unnecessary.
three

Post by three »

One of my favorites!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20230120-MGWCC-EatDrinkBeMeta-JPR.png
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

My notes look like Joe’s except that I had

Boba or soDa for SOBA
and
Sake or cOke for CAKE

Clear enough which was intended, and in post solve googling, I learned that boba is actually the little pellets in the tea, not the drink itself.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
KayW

Post by KayW »

I wanted to riff on one of @Joe Ross's usual images and post:

Beaned. Er, Beamed.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

KayW wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:44 pm I wanted to riff on one of @Joe Ross's usual images and post:

Beaned. Er, Beamed.
Two of my favorite things finally together at last.

I got it right away except for a letter or two so I kept trying to backsolve before submitting. WINES eluded me for a while.
woozy

Post by woozy »

So.... nobody fell for the 11-columns must mean exactly one letter per column? And apparent every single person knowing to change a letter to get an liquid diet knew that obviously meant the original entry had to refer to food and no single person was dense and obtuse enough to not realize there were 11 food entries? And since absolutely nobody thought you had to change exactly one letter in each column regardless about whether the original entry was about food or not, then nobody got confused that some columns had no clear candidate for the letter change and other columns had multiple choices?

Well, good. I'm glad none of us were stumped on that red herring. I certainly wasn't.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

I saw the 11 columns and spent a lot of time on it. I saw the 11 food items, but did not find the letter change, so didn't solve.