MEOW #112: Slide, You Blockhead! Slide!

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Cat is out!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the second batch of solvers, with nudges to follow...

Mr Tex
dplass
BarbaraK
rjy
Johnny Luau
Dave C
LindaPRmaven
MatthewL
lbray53
Will
KayW
Matt A
markhr
Darrell
Ergcat
Pair O Ducks

That brings us up to 30!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The puzzle title is your main hint.

2. Did you notice how many black squares come between 36 and 37 across?

3. An alternate title for this puzzle is "A Pitch Right Down the Middle"; another is "A Hit Right Up the Middle". But it really needed to be a combination of both which wouldn't have made any sense at all as far as baseball is concerned.

4. Now I think about it, "slide into the middle" would have been even better as far as the meta is concerned, but that's even less applicable to baseball!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Nudge #2 got me to where I knew I wanted to be from the start.

Thanks for a puzzle I could sink my EPEE into, Ben!
Untitledsnoop.png
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Cat has been nudged out of the bag. Fun grid and meta, Ben.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Took way too long following the nudges, but a fresh look today triggered that AHA spark. The cat is out of the bag and looking shocked.
ajk

Post by ajk »

I have solved the problem I had for the first two puzzles last week of needing the nudges to get me to properly execute what I was already doing. The key is to not have a clue what to do in the first place. :lol:

Unfortunately I have taken this technique a bit too far, as I still don't have a clue even after the nudges. :lol: :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the last batch of solvers before the answer reveal...

MisterDJ
whimsy
Dow Jones
JM
Carolyn
CPJohnson
ReB

We only got to 37. Given that the puzzle was completed by 209 people, that's rather low!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Slide, You Blockhead! Slide!":

Slide, You Blockhead! Slide! (solution).png

My thanks to DrTom for testing an early version of this puzzle and pushing me to make it better!

Note that the grid entries HOME RUNS go around the DIAMOND just like the batter has to go around the diamond to complete a home run. I hoped that these two entries would have drawn your attention to that big black space in the centre of the grid!

If you need a bright moment, then check out this stunning slide into home:
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I had the basic idea but I was trying to make a word out of the last letter of those words (circle the *bases*).
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

...but loved the "halfway across the world" shout out!!