SILENT FILM STAR by Park and Eisenberg

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
oldjudge

SILENT FILM STAR by Park and Eisenberg

Post by oldjudge »

Brian has farmed out the puzzle this week to the pair of Kate Chin Park and Will Eisenberg. I did not love the grid (too much for me to Google) but the meta was fun, although the process has been used multiple times in the past.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Filled it in (mostly.)

Yes, I have a formula that relates the number of times I have to google to the years younger the constructors are than I am! :lol:

If you're looking for a link to the puzzle, I think this one on the FB page should do it --

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jk3z1f2coh9pf ... n.puz?dl=1
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it. Although I'm pretty sure my Google bill will exceed my utility bill this month. LOL
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Thanks for the link, @whimsy ! I've never done one of these "Fill Me In" puzzles before. I can't wait to try some of these "current" slang phrases on my nephew and his buddies.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Cool. Got it. Up my alley. Loved it.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Got it, after confirming something on Google.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Abide

Post by Abide »

Some stretchy cluing that I enjoyed, except for one nasty crosser at 39-D and 49-A. I'm classifying that as a NeoNatick.

The meta put me in the Christmas spirit, particularly last year's.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Abide wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:36 pm Some stretchy cluing that I enjoyed, except for one nasty crosser at 39-D and 49-A. I'm classifying that as a NeoNatick.

The meta put me in the Christmas spirit, particularly last year's.
That's one of my blank squares. The other is 35Ax22D.

But I got the meta anyway. Now just need to get to the password. I'm way behind in podcast listening but should get to this before the deadline.

I never did figure out the previous FMI meta (and also haven't heard it on the podcast yet either, so I should take another look.)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Fun puzzle. And I think I have it with a bit of a quibble. Not a quibble that would stand up in court but a quibble.

Anyway.... kids these days.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

woozy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:12 am Fun puzzle. And I think I have it with a bit of a quibble. Not a quibble that would stand up in court but a quibble.

Anyway.... kids these days.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh, wait. I had no idea this thread was as old as it was.

So I don't feel bad about stating my spoiler quibble: Garbo isn't actually known as a silent film star, is she. I mean, she was in a few silents but at her height she was certainly a talkie star, wasn't she?

Now admitted, the puzzle never claimed the meta was a silent film star. But that is implied isn't it.