"Jolly Old St. Nick" December 23, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Ergcat wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:40 pm
Streroto wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:18 pm My one reservation was that I associate LIST with Santa as in “he’s making a list”, not LISTS. But the ISTS in the center plus the overall elegance of the meta put me over the top. Another super fun one.

Stay well all
My daughter and I had this same discussion ( a popular song says “He’s making A LIST and checking it twice”) but other Santa folklore refers to “lists” plural to refer to two lists = the Naughty and the Nice lists.
You could also look at it as the wish-lists sent by kids, or told to Santa directly at the mall.

"I want an official Red Ryder carbine action 200-shot-range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time!"
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

HunterX wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:38 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:59 am
HunterX wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:20 pm
If you want the ultimate fish-pun experience, play the song "Wet Dream" by Kip Addotta. You can read the lyrics here. Or listen to it here.
Thank goodness that, at our meetup in June, Mark did not know you were a fan of this little ditty. You two would have been reciting the WHOLE THING. He shares the rudest parts of it at the most inappropriate times!
Wish I'd known! Though I don't know the words by heart. I just remember hearing it many times on the Dr. Demento radio show in the late '70's. But, if Mark likes Monty Python... THAT would have gotten me quoting for hours!

While I don't hope you ever have car trouble, I kinda would like to be there when Mark is driving and his car starts overheating. I'm guessing he'll pull into a Shell station.
Oh great. Now you're making me wanna go find my MP3s of Dr Demento stuff. My favorites are "The Ballad of Irving" and it's sequel, "The Son of Irving".

The 152nd fastest gun <BANG> in the West.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Came to Birmingham with my neighbor to pick up another neighbor at the airport. Flight delayed, we are in the free waiting area parking lot. Looks like I can make the Zoom call from the car.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:38 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:59 am
HunterX wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:20 pm
If you want the ultimate fish-pun experience, play the song "Wet Dream" by Kip Addotta. You can read the lyrics here. Or listen to it here.
Thank goodness that, at our meetup in June, Mark did not know you were a fan of this little ditty. You two would have been reciting the WHOLE THING. He shares the rudest parts of it at the most inappropriate times!
Wish I'd known! Though I don't know the words by heart. I just remember hearing it many times on the Dr. Demento radio show in the late '70's. But, if Mark likes Monty Python... THAT would have gotten me quoting for hours!

While I don't hope you ever have car trouble, I kinda would like to be there when Mark is driving and his car starts overheating. I'm guessing he'll pull into a Shell station.
Does he drive a Barracuda, Marlin or a Sting Ray?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!