"Celebrate Xmas" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
ReB

Post by ReB »

Crossed the MOAT in record time, an enjoyable run-up to Xmas.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Crossed the MOAT. Thanks for all the puzzles!

Merry Christmas!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Another fantastic puzzle - and another MOAT crossed! I've been doing okay on these the past few times, but we'll see if I can continue my good fortunes in 2023! Merry Christmas, Ben!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Crossed the moat and am in the cold, cold castle. Will find a yule log for the fireplace and get a good fire going, Everybody come on down to the great hall and gather round and get warm. Merry Christmas to all!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the "almost 24 hours in" initial list of successful solvers:

kieranjboyd
SeamusOL
Dow Jones
woozy
markhr
Hector
edestlin
rjy
Ergcat
Capn Rick
MrTheHan
Cindy Heisler
Dave C
Cindy Weatherman
boharr
dplass
Darth
Bird Lives
Meg
MatthewL
DIS
Tyrpmom
spotter
Carolyn
CPJohnson
heidi
DrTom
kymike
hoover
Gutman
HeadinHome
KayW
imontoo
Jaclyn
ajk
jbird
lbray53
Laura M
DebbieC
ReB
Darrell
BarbaraK
SJMcK
Mikey G
SewYoung

That's 45 to get us going! That's possibly a MOAT record for the most solvers in the first 24 hours! (he says, without bothering to check the archives. I have to say I am absolutely exhausted after a day of painting the ceiling!)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed. Stormed.

Which does indeed feel like a strange thing to say in this season of peace.

Thanks, Ben!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

reindeer.png

Crossed by reindeer this week.
Thanks for the wonderful seasonal puzzle, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Another day, another coat of paint on the ceiling. Man, I'm beat! Oh yes, and some more solvers:

ChrisKochmanski
Abide
whimsy
Alex Sisti
LindaPRmaven
Johnny Luau
Charles Montpetit
wendy walker
ChrisCross

bringing us to 54.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Confirmed on Crosshare. Thanks, Ben, and Merry Christmas!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Only two more solvers since last time:

Spid4567
Jeremy Smith

Let's see if there are any stragglers out there waiting for some nudges...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. As you fill in the grid, you will discover seven squares that need to contain more than there's room for. Just put an X in these squares.

2. But what do the Xs replace? Use the across and down clues to come up with something different for each X.

3. After that, it should be fairly obvious how to get the meta answer. But there is a confirming entry in the grid.

4. 30 across is the confirming entry.
Jade

Post by Jade »

Had no clue on this for AGES and then my wife looked at it and got it immediately. Fun puzzle! (And Merry Christmas, everyone!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I know it's still Christmas for some, but it's Boxing Day here in Australia. Before I reveal the answer, there's one more name to add to the solver list, bringing us up to 57.

Jim Dean
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Without further ado, here's the solution to "Celebrate Xmas":

Celebrate Xmas (solution).png

Nothing to add concerning this one, except to say: "Merry Christmas, everyone!"

Stay tuned for the last MOAT of 2022...