MGWCC #757 - “A League of Their Own”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

If the foot race was supposed to be 5K it seems like this one should be ten pins. Since ten pins and bowling both have seven letters I tried, in vain, to find a connection in the clues or grid to justify bowling. Since I could not find one and it was a week one, I submitted TEN PINS.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:13 pm The keyword is BOWLING, IMO.

I submitted NINEPINS BOWLING, which was accepted. There are TEN PINS, so I have to think Matt was generous because I included BOWLING.

We'll see, Friday.
My submission of NINEPINS (no bowling) was deemed to be correct. I didn't realize that SEEP was supposed to be SEEpin so I only had nine pins. (I didn't get AGT... I figured it was AST which doesn't really make sense in hindsight but at the time seemed plausible.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
woozy

Post by woozy »

lbray53 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:20 pm If the foot race was supposed to be 5K it seems like this one should be ten pins. Since ten pins and bowling both have seven letters I tried, in vain, to find a connection in the clues or grid to justify bowling. Since I could not find one and it was a week one, I submitted TEN PINS.
I would think just the graphic would justify "Bowling" alone. But then again, I never even noticed the graphic until hours after submitting... (I was fairly convinced when I saw the pins I had to count them and wanted to make sure whether it was nine, eight, ten, seven or eleven--- when I counted there were nine I couldn't see how it could be anything else---{can't be Bowling if there are only nine pines, no ball and no order to the pins})

And, no, bowling is not immediate by the title alone. Baseball, Football, Hockey, etc. all have leagues as well.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

woozy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:50 pm
lbray53 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:20 pm If the foot race was supposed to be 5K it seems like this one should be ten pins. Since ten pins and bowling both have seven letters I tried, in vain, to find a connection in the clues or grid to justify bowling. Since I could not find one and it was a week one, I submitted TEN PINS.
I would think just the graphic would justify "Bowling" alone. But then again, I never even noticed the graphic until hours after submitting... (I was fairly convinced when I saw the pins I had to count them and wanted to make sure whether it was nine, eight, ten, seven or eleven--- when I counted there were nine I couldn't see how it could be anything else---{can't be Bowling if there are only nine pines, no ball and no order to the pins})

And, no, bowling is not immediate by the title alone. Baseball, Football, Hockey, etc. all have leagues as well.
I was probably overly influenced by the 5K puzzle because I was sure that the answer should have been half marathon due to the 21 K's in the grid. That turned out to be correct. I was not about to make the same mistake, so I went with Ten Pins instead of Bowling. Thankfully, Matt was good enough to accept both of my "wrong" answers.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, on his page he never talked about the alternative answers to BOWLING. Frankly, if I were him I wouldn't have accepted my answer of NINE-PINS (but I would have accepted TEN PINS) but... I'll take the win.