MEOW #105: First Responders

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

meeeeow. (“i’m out”)

fun and educational too.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Jade

Post by Jade »

Got it - thanks, another fun meta!
Meg

Post by Meg »

It’s always good to learn something!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Got it. Thanks, Ben!
Cynthia
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Another day and another batch of successful solvers:

HeadinHome
Tyrpmom
Jim Dean
Rufus T Firefly
CPJohnson
dannyvee
Jaclyn

That's 35 so far.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Just one more solver:

SJMcK

Nudges imminent!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There are no obvious hints in the puzzle, so you just know that the puzzle title is the only thing you have to go on.

2. Then there are those awkwardly-worded clues; there is no way they could be included if they weren't meta-related.

3. There's something special about the clues for 7 entries, other than the fact that they consist of three words.

4. Now I stop and think about it, the clue for 51 down could actually function as a meta hint. Maybe if I phrased it as "emer. med. tech."?
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Needed 3 nudges! And thanks for the puzzle and the education @benchen71 ,
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
ReB

Post by ReB »

After the second nudge, the cat managed to escape, leaving me meeked in the process (c.f. Crosshare comment)... Definitely ranks high in the education department.
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:39 pm

2. Then there are those awkwardly-worded clues; there is no way they could be included if they weren't meta-related.

What awkwardly-worded clues
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:39 pm
benchen71 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:39 pm

What awkwardly-worded clues
Seems I did better than I thought! :D
KayW

Post by KayW »

Crisis resolved, thanks to nudges. I was meow-ing up the wrong tree...

...and I learned something. Always a plus! Thanks, Ben.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Unfortunately, I have a very busy day tomorrow, and so won't have time to post the answer. So I'm going to do it today!

First, the solver update:

Teamdoubletow
KayW
Alex Sisti
ReB
woozy
jbird
Sharkicicles
LindaPRmaven
Lance
Darrell

That brings us to 46 in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the answer to "First Responders":

First Responders (solution).png

Regarding the "EMT" clues, I absolutely adore the one for AIRWAY. The one for DEFIB is also pretty good. I remember it took ages to come up with the one for BREATHING (after all breathing isn't usually mindful!); and the ones for RESPONSE and SEND are awkward in the extreme! But I figured that might help draw your attention to them.

DRSABCD is taught in first-aid courses here in Australia From the comments on Crosshare it seems it's not used in the US. Who knows: if you learn it, it might just save someone's life. So aren't you glad you solved this puzzle!

benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

While I'm posting, allow me to advertise my new puzzle release: the Rejected (Non-meta) MOAT Pack. Check out the announcement post here, and I look forward to processing your orders soon! :D

Mont-Saint-Michel.jpg
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well color me embarrassed. I solved, even commented on the difference between the Aussie and US version of this and NEVER noticed that the clue words had EMT. Now I may have been predisposed to see AIRWAY, BREATHING, CIRCULATION [Compressions] (which used to be the US version until everyone realized it is the compressions and not the air that is important and the sooner the compressions start the better) so it was an easy solve, but not seeing the EMT, well that is just exasperatingly mediocre thinking.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

DrTom wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:32 pm ... not seeing the EMT, well that is just exasperatingly mediocre thinking.
I wouldn't say that! Clearly, I disguised those clues even better than I thought! :D
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

benchen71 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:25 am
DrTom wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:32 pm ... not seeing the EMT, well that is just exasperatingly mediocre thinking.
I wouldn't say that! Clearly, I disguised those clues even better than I thought! :D
You did that my friend, you did that.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!