"What's In Your Pocket?"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Abide

Post by Abide »

"WHAT'S IN YOUR POCKET" REVEAL
robe pocket.jpg

ANSWER: HALF-PINT and LINT (two words associated with a pocket)
pocket_solve_1.png

As suggested by 75-Across, eight asterisked entries contained a synonymous "word within a word". These are known as "kangaroo words", with the smaller word representing the "joey". The joeys in the asterisked entries, when read from bottom to top, spell HALF-PINT. Apply the mechanism again to get LINT. And that gives you two words associated with a pocket.

Several solvers had trouble making a connection with half-pint and a pocket. Perhaps they were unfamiliar with the small liquor bottles and hip flasks favored by street drinkers and tailgaters. Obviously these solvers have been spoiled by Isaac's bar service.

The genesis for this meta was during a Zoom call discussion of Wendy's pocket, and making that the next crowdsource meta. My original answer of NO LINT was discarded as too much of an in-joke. So I started with LINT and back-kangarooed to something pocket related. From this site https://kangaroowords.com/index I focused on joeys with different first letters than the original word. With eight words of varying lengths, and ROO as last across, the grid had to be asymmetric. Eventually I stumbled onto the pocket shape, and then turned the whole hot mess over to co-constructors Rick and Wendy. They both did excellent work, and I really appreciate the collaborative effort.

Crosshare stats
Total completions: 241
Average completion time: 0:14:25
Completions without helpers: 107
Correct contest submissions: 71
Total contest submissions:76

Prizewinner information follows.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Our lucky MMM prize winner is our Muggle friend @Dplass! Dave, if you PM me your mailing address I'll get your tote bag out to you -- as soon as I finish knitting it, that is.
Thank you to @BrennerTJ for her "riveting" reveal!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

O.K. I totally overlooked the hen within the chicken and I doubled the "F" on account of "Frail" and "Fragile", so I had two "F"s and no "H". Otherwise I had all the right letters so my first thought was that "Lint" was the four letter word (I also considered "Flap"). No" Halfpint" without the "H". Wouldn't have gotten it anyway as I don't see how Halfpint is associated with a pocket.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:30 am O.K. I totally overlooked the hen within the chicken and I doubled the "F" on account of "Frail" and "Fragile", so I had two "F"s and no "H". Otherwise I had all the right letters so my first thought was that "Lint" was the four letter word (I also considered "Flap"). No" Halfpint" without the "H". Wouldn't have gotten it anyway as I don't see how Halfpint is associated with a pocket.
NEVER MIND! I just saw Peter's post with a picture of the halfpint in the pocket. Oh Well, I didn't have the all letters to make that anyway.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:32 am
SewYoung wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:30 am O.K. I totally overlooked the hen within the chicken and I doubled the "F" on account of "Frail" and "Fragile", so I had two "F"s and no "H". Otherwise I had all the right letters so my first thought was that "Lint" was the four letter word (I also considered "Flap"). No" Halfpint" without the "H". Wouldn't have gotten it anyway as I don't see how Halfpint is associated with a pocket.
NEVER MIND! I just saw Peter's post with a picture of the halfpint in the pocket. Oh Well, I didn't have the all letters to make that anyway.
On my way to church where I can't access my flask, anyway as I sit in the choir loft in full view of the entire congregation. Very awkward hiking up my choir robe to get it out of my pocket. Guess I'll have to wait til I get home.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I was thrown briefly by assuming the two words had to be a phrase. And it took me longer than it should have to think to apply the mechanism to the first result. (It's a standard trick). I couldn't really see what HALF-PINT had to do with POCKET but I figured it could be that both refer to things being small. (I call my dog a "pocket llama")
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:42 am Our lucky MMM prize winner is our Muggle friend @Dplass! Dave, if you PM me your mailing address I'll get your tote bag out to you -- as soon as I finish knitting it, that is.
Thank you to @BrennerTJ for her "riveting" reveal!
And what a few days for Dplass.
#1 WSJCC muggle solver and now the MMM prize winner.
Congrats and can I borrow your Powerball #’s?
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Look what's come, @Wendy Walker! Thanks so much for sending this amazing gift through all the way to Australia. I love it!!

PXL_20221204_091317723.jpg
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock: