"I Almost Gave Away The Ending" December 2, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

ship4u wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:02 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:43 pm
ship4u wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:23 pm an MG, my first sport car!
TD? TF?

In ancient times I had a girlfriend who had an MGA. And a St. Bernard. It made for interesting road trips.
A 1952 TD in British Racing Green and a tan leather interior. The windshield folded down. I loved it. My second was a 1960 MGA.

Real sport cars.
Wow! I lusted after that car from a very young age. A true classic. When I bought my first car however I settled for a used Fiat 850 Spyder with the rear engine. It only lasted a couple of years before the unibody frame rusted beyond repair but I have never owned a car as fun to drive since
NB: Not my actual car but the the spitting image
NB: Not my actual car but the the spitting image
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Kas

Post by Kas »

I'm at the bar! Again. On my personalized stool.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

After exploring a large number of closely related rabbit holes, I have arrived on shore.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I am ashore, thank heavens the beach umbrellas are keeping the rain off me.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Bird Lives wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:16 am
Dplass wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:14 pm
ship4u wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:05 pm @Dplass still has his Triumph!
Indeed I do. Still a work in progress.
My dentist restored a couple of old Jaguars -- XK-120, 140. A guy he did some dental work on told him, "There's a guy in Scotland -- I know him because of my golf courses -- and he has the best leather ever for car interiors." So my dentist went to Scotland, and it turns out his client wasn't lying.
Did no one else besides myself, upon beginning to read this message wonder: What the heck is Bird doing with old jaguars in his mouth? And furthermore, why was he lax in flossing them?
Colin

Post by Colin »

On beach with my car.
Toes in sand, beer on the bar.
Cloud nine, tip in jar!
Last edited by Colin on Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One world. One planet. One future.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Limerick Savant wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:00 pm Finished before lights out last night and caught the last skiff to shore. Found this one so easy but elegant that I have decided to take on Paul and Prue’s technical challenge this week. I just hope it’s not stodgy.

4AA5645F-E557-417A-8AAE-0150AB05BFBF.jpeg

If you would like to join me, you have 2 and a half days left.
We are thinking of trying Prue's Buche de Noel yule log for our Christmas Day dessert.
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

On the shore here! Now you guys have inspired me to make a fun dessert :)
ricky

Post by ricky »

Ashore. Very smooth sailing this week - 13m total for grid & meta.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Joining Car Talk. I drove a TR3 named Black Charlie. Loved it. Then met a guy driving a TR4. He sold that and subsequently got a 1972 MGB. Great car--except maybe for the time we drove it to Boston just in time for the blizzard of '78. Yikes. That took some digging! Good memories.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

I drove old MG's and Jaguars for years. They were great fun to drive, but they were not the most reliable. I remember pulling behind an MGB with a bumper sticker that said, "Every part falling off of this car is genuine British Leyland."

I eventually moved to German engineering when a friend offered me his 1971 Mercedes SL.
top up shade.jpg
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:06 am Nothing, nothing, nothing...hey that's odd, and that's odd too, nope can't be odd three times in a row! Is that sand I fell on my feet?
Ashore!
It's a cold, rainy day in Phoenix. No golf, so worked on the grid this morning. Didn't see much as I was filling it in. As I started to review things, Dr. Tom's three stages are a good description for my emotions! Quickly completed the solve at that point. Remarkable construction!

In late HS and then college, my dream first cars were MGB and TR4. Typical teen, collected sales brochures, planned my eventual purchase. . .
Never happened, my first car was a rusted out piece of junk from a used car lot in Detroit. Big mistake! My first ride purchased new was a beautiful Honda 450, not a car at all. It was fun but my motorcycle days are long gone now.
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

ship4u wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:41 pm I drove old MG's and Jaguars for years. They were great fun to drive, but they were not the most reliable. I remember pulling behind an MGB with a bumper sticker that said, "Every part falling off of this car is genuine British Leyland."

I eventually moved to German engineering when a friend offered me his 1971 Mercedes SL.

top up shade.jpg
Reminds of an old joke about the difference between heaven and hell.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
steveb

Post by steveb »

ship4u wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:41 pm I drove old MG's and Jaguars for years. They were great fun to drive, but they were not the most reliable. I remember pulling behind an MGB with a bumper sticker that said, "Every part falling off of this car is genuine British Leyland."

top up shade.jpg
Your house looks pretty nice, too! ;)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Car Talk: I never owned a classic sports car as many of you have. But I'm hoping some day my current car will be considered some sort of a classic. I got one of the last rotary engine cars in production, the year before they discontinued it--a 2010 Mazda RX-8. Super fun to drive. Six speed. Redlines at 9,000 RPM. (Loved a Dan Neil review that described the front grille as having a "happy mushroom eating grin."
0725001915a.jpg

Also, it's got suicide doors for the back seat! (Ignore the ugly backpack in the back seat. I'll need to update that photo some day.)

0725001914.jpg

I've put less than 50,000 miles on it in 12 years. It's pretty much as pristine now as it was in that old photo. Only had to replace the battery a couple of years ago. And the tires around then too. The guy who ran the service department at the dealership for many years was a great guy named Cliff. I'd call up to get an appointment, he'd recognize my voice and ask me how the RX-8 was doing. He'd always ask, "Are you driving her hard?" (Which would usually turn into a source of humor for my wife and me.)

Maybe some day she'll get some "classic status" love.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Got it…
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

On the ship with no idea.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

whimsy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:51 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:16 am
Dplass wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:14 pm

Indeed I do. Still a work in progress.
My dentist restored a couple of old Jaguars -- XK-120, 140. A guy he did some dental work on told him, "There's a guy in Scotland -- I know him because of my golf courses -- and he has the best leather ever for car interiors." So my dentist went to Scotland, and it turns out his client wasn't lying.
Did no one else besides myself, upon beginning to read this message wonder: What the heck is Bird doing with old jaguars in his mouth? And furthermore, why was he lax in flossing them?
He wasn't flossing, he was flogging, that's what the leather was for I assume?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:21 pm Car Talk: I never owned a classic sports car as many of you have. But I'm hoping some day my current car will be considered some sort of a classic. I got one of the last rotary engine cars in production, the year before they discontinued it--a 2010 Mazda RX-8. Super fun to drive. Six speed. Redlines at 9,000 RPM. (Loved a Dan Neil review that described the front grille as having a "happy mushroom eating grin."

0725001915a.jpg

Also, it's got suicide doors for the back seat! (Ignore the ugly backpack in the back seat. I'll need to update that photo some day.)

0725001914.jpg

I've put less than 50,000 miles on it in 12 years. It's pretty much as pristine now as it was in that old photo. Only had to replace the battery a couple of years ago. And the tires around then too. The guy who ran the service department at the dealership for many years was a great guy named Cliff. I'd call up to get an appointment, he'd recognize my voice and ask me how the RX-8 was doing. He'd always ask, "Are you driving her hard?" (Which would usually turn into a source of humor for my wife and me.)

Maybe some day she'll get some "classic status" love.
Do not make Wankel pun, do not make Wankel pun, do not....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

Ashore. Very creative one.