Jackpot Lottery

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
Guy

Jackpot Lottery

Post by Guy »

Pure luck, on Sunday I got the Wordle in one…the bot said with that luck, play the lottery at the one and only time I am in Covid isolation (no worries, very mild). But it it got me to thinking, what if. A billion $ plus, aside from taxes. What is your take? Blessing, curse, hubris on our tiny planet in the cosmos, or have the wherewithal to have dinner with Elon or take him on, etc..
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

My thought on lottery winnings is that the key is to not get caught up in "things rich people do" and not fundamentally change how you live. Example -- I wouldn't know the first thing about maintaining a luxury sports car or a boat and have never deeply wanted either, so if I wanted the experience I'd just pay $1000 to rent the car for a couple days or hire someone to take me out on their yacht for a 3-hour tour. Also, if you like, say, taking car trips and staying at Comfort Inns and eating $15-25 dinners, just do more of that rather than hiring a private jet, staying at a Four Seasons and having Michelin rated meals.

As for the 1.whatever billion jackpot....

$10 million cash
$40 million professionally managed (Raymond James, Schwab, etc.)
If desired, set aside an appropriate sum to buy or start a business (you can't even buy a major league sports team for this sum!)
Rest - start a charitable foundation and donate to things that matter to you.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I didn't win. I didn't buy a ticket. I never do.

Managing that much money would be a full time job, and I'm happily retired. Even giving it away responsibly would take more due diligence than I'm up for.

But it would be really cool if some muggle was the winner!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Just in case a muggle did win, WSJ has got you covered:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/financial- ... lewebshare
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Inca

Post by Inca »

I don't buy lottery tickets but my husband does. Just in case we ever win, we decided that the first thing we would have to do is split the winnings between us 50-50. I just want to be sure we don't wind up having fights about how to spend, or not spend, the $$