"Equivocation" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

End of the second day and the following solvers join the list:

Dave C
ReB
whimsy
BarbaraK
Jim Dean
Dow Jones
Mr Tex
Alex Sisti
Qmark
DrTom
BrennerTJ
Carolyn
SewYoung
Abide

That brings us to 37. Nudges coming tomorrow morning Aussie time.
Happy Thanksgiving to all my US friends!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

MikeyG wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:12 pm I asked three of my students last week to name a Beatle. None could. (I did not accept "John Elton.")
Too funny!
Seattle DB
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Wow, I was so focused on the WSJ that I totally forgot to post the nudges! But before that, here's a solver update:

Pair O Ducks
Alex R

Yep, that's all, bringing us to 39. Let's see if the nudges can shake a few more solvers loose....
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The main clue is suggested by the quote from Macbeth: FAIR IS FOUL AND FOUL IS FAIR.

2. There is an additional clue in 34 down which suggests that finding opposites is involved.

3. By design, there should only be a handful of entries with antonyms.

4. You're looking for five across entries.

5. There is an additional hint to the answer suggested by a couple of the down entries.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got it with nudge two. Fun stuff, thx.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Needed nudge two as well. Thanks for the puzzle!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Have now had time to work on metas. Submitted on Crosshare. Thanks, Ben!
Cynthia
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

After a long and busy week, I am finally getting to last week's metas. Crossed the moat singing Beatle songs! My granddaughters age 12 and 16 are huge Beatles fans.
Cindy Heisler
hoover

Post by hoover »

Stormed across with the aid of some nudges.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It's Monday morning here in Australia, and that means it's time for the answer reveal. But first a solver update:

Ergcat
Spid4567
africh
amy nelson
ajk
Bbaack
edestlin
Sharkicicles
CPJohnson
Gutman
Cindy Heisler
MrTheHan
hoover
Schmeel

We got to 53 in the end!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the answer and explanation for "Equivocation":

Equivocation (solution).png
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:40 pm Here's the answer and explanation for "Equivocation":

Equivocation (solution).png
Total coincidence that you and I (MMM) both had "Hello"-themed metas this week... although I think it's happened to us before as well.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:22 am Total coincidence that you and I (MMM) both had "Hello"-themed metas this week... although I think it's happened to us before as well.
Yep. Funny how that happens!