"Self-Promotion" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Indeed, Googling helped. Crossed the moat. Thanks for the puzzle!
ajk

Post by ajk »

lol got it with the last nudge. Had seen the relevant things without the nudges but didn't realize it. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Stormed the Castle! Got it with the last nudge to see things a bit differently!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Crossed the moat after nudges.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Untitledbourtzicastle.png

Now that's a moat! (And a Greek flag.)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

By the end of the 2nd 24 hour period, 5 more solvers have joined the ranks, bringing us up to 33:

dplass
ajk
Ergcat
ReB
whimsy
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Crossed the moat. Got it right away after seeing nudges.
Nice puzzle. Thanks, Ben!
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

NICE! I apparently went the way of MANY others until I finally gave up my preconceived notion and looked at the puzzle in a new light. I just have to remember that whatever I do I have to work at it with all my heart.

Great puzzle and LOL solution.

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Another 24 hours, and more solvers. Yay!

Laura M
Cindy Heisler
lbray53
DrTom
ChrisCross
DIS
BarbaraK
emmie
cheer
Pair O Ducks

We're up to 43 now.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I was just on Crosshare and I need to add a solver to the list. They didn't have the full name of the author correct, but I think it was close enough:

Spid4567

Technically, they should be slotted in above MeloMania. And that brings us up to 44.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

If you are still stuck and the earlier nudges didn't help, maybe this will get you across the line. It should have come between nudges 3 and 4:

3½. You can form three book titles by combining two adjacent entries. This is where the clue similarity and grid asymmetry will come together.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Definitely needed the last nudge! Loved the answer! Thanks for the puzzle.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Before I reveal the answer, here's the final update for the solver list:

CPJohnson
SeamusOL
Teamdoubletow
Abide

... which brought us up to 48.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Self-Promotion":

Self-Promotion (solution).png

The idea for this meta started with the title and then coming up with a completely unexpected mechanism: "Self-promotion" suggests moving I or ME forward, etc, etc. But what if I took it literally?

Given the prominence of EPHESUS, CORINTH and ROME in the grid, many of you thought the answer would be the apostle Paul. But there had to be a reason for that lack of symmetry, and so that brings SCROLL, LETTERS and GOSPEL into play. Paul certainly wrote letters, but he did not write a gospel, so that should have ruled him out of contention. Now I said it would be unlikely you would know the author: I hope you enjoyed that moment when you put in what must be book titles into Google and then up popped a familiar name! :lol:

5books(small).png

Note that "Meeting of Minds" (sci-fi homage to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" with elements of Max Headroom) and "The Ephesus Scroll" (historical fiction novel that attempts to explain how the book of Revelation would have been understood in its first-century context) are both available as free ebooks from Smashwords. I trust you will all excuse this moment of self-promotion! :D